Premed 101 Forums

Reply from Western

Guest EMHC

So I emailed Admissions about what courses at UBC would satisfy their bio. sci. requirement and they gave me a list of courses that UBC doesn't even have. I only emailed them twice and the first time their reply was "this course does not satisfy western's requirements." Are they too busy to answer questions right now?

Would anybody know which bio. sci. courses are valid?

EMHC

I've taken Bio 120, 200, 201 and Biochem 302 at UBC. I'm waitlisted at Western, so I guess these courses must meet the requirements.

Jenny

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

I realise this is a pretty important question for you, as evidenced by this large thread in the UBC forum on the same topic:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm14.showMessage?topicID=390.topic

You did the right thing by going directly to Western, and even though the reply you got isn't completely satisfactory, your best course of action is to continue to pursue it with them, and not here. Even if someone here was able to give you advice on which UBC course to take, that is no guarantee that UWO will see it that way, which is why you need to take this up with them.

I don't know if you've done this yet, but I would email them with the potential courses you had in mind, and also supply them with the UBC calendar descriptions of each course, including # credits, course name and #, lab component description, and whether anything else is required within the course (ie. essays, thesis, etc). Make it easy for them to look at your email and tell you which UBC courses will be the UWO equivalent. Since the admission cycle is still ongoing, anything you can do to facilitate them answering you will only speed up the process.

Good luck!

Ian

Guest aneliz

I agree with Ian...the admissions staff are very busy (and this is a constant state, not just right now!)

You need to really spell your question out for them, they cannot keep up with the every possible course offered at every university. Give them course codes, descriptions and pre-reqs for that course as well as lab/lecture hours, number of credits, etc and they should be able to tell you whether it is acceptable or unacceptable.

This will hopefully speed things up for you. They may be working of off an older list of UBC courses - that would be why the courses they sent you may not be offered anymore.

Alternatively, if UWO has given you a list of UBC course codes that they consider acceptable, you might try taking them to the UBC department that offers (or offered) the course and see what courses are equivalent to the old courses (or if they maybe are still offered but under a different course code - ie have been renumbered.)

I would encourage you to address this directly with the school though...as Ian suggested.

If you don't have any success by e-mail, try giving the office a call and ask to speak with Darla. (Barbara is very sweet and helpful but Darla knows more about pre-reqs!)

Good luck!

Archived