Premed 101 Forums

Confused BC applicant

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

Hello Everyone,

I've noticed that this forum in particular ABOUNDS with energy and enthusiasm. The UBC board is rather quiet.

You guys are the reason why I want to apply to Western (haha...it's partially true and also I'm being obsequious so that you reply to my posts <evil grin>)

I was just wondering and I only sorta know how the GPA process works when you apply.

My first year is over the 3.7 cut off, my 2nd year isn't, and I'm going into my 3rd year. So am I still eligible to apply? If all goes well, I assume that I will be offered a conditional acceptance, based upon reaching that 3.7 cut off for my 3rd year grades next May? I'm one of those people who asks questions just so I get a reassuring "yes" even though I "think" I know the answer :)

I did NOT take any 3rd or 4th year level courses in first year, but all my courses in 3rd year (except one 3 credit course, or half year course) will be 300 level.

Also, how would you compare Vancouver and London? Or Toronto (when I was in Guelph, I learned how to properly say it, unlike the rest of of Canada who pronounces it more like "Toron-toe").

I volunteer with marginalized backgrounds, particularly individuals living with HIV/AIDS who have a history of working in the sex trade, homelessness, physical/sexual/emotional abuse AND/OR drug abuse. The organization I volunteer for is the ONLY one in North America with a (fullly functional, although not legally sanctioned) safe injection site! Do any opportunities like these exist in London? I doubt these problems are only relegated to larger cities like Vancouver. Inherent in Vancouver's larger population is more visibiliy concerning clients who engage in such activities.

I know Toronto has marginalized areas as well, such as Cabbagetown and more notably, Regent Park, but the dynamic that exists there is different than that of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. For example, IV drug use is more rampant in Vancouver and they sell drugs much more liberally in Vancouver. In fact, I was hit up for crack cocaine THREE times on Hastings St. (between Main and Columbia) while walking on 10 meters of sidwalk in the course of ONE minute. And the funny thing is, the Vancouver Police station is a mere 150 meters away. I DID NOT BUY ANY BY THE WAY. But since our recent crackdown, the drug trafficking has been "pushed" elsewhere.

Also, Vancouver has a medical clinic in the Downtown Eastside where med students can volunteer. It's called CHIUS.

The website is:

www.chius.ubc.ca

It's being revamped and stuff, so the link may change.

I think med students from any Canadian med school can volunteer. Other health science professionals can volunteer as well, but volunteers MUST be part of a professional school (med, dent, nursing, social work, OT/PT, etc).

Anybody care to comment about London's situation? Does London have a medical clinic that caters to homeless clients where med students can volunteer?

• 2 years later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447760</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Confused BC applicant</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Confused BC applicant</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived