Premed 101 Forums

acceptance scheme

Guest medschoolboy

Guest aneliz

I have not heard confirmation that they are using this scheme this year, but in years past it has been:

25% best year GPA

25% MCAT - writing sample and VR score only

50% interview

No weight to autobiographical sketch or reference letters.

Guest aneliz

No idea on the specifics...because they don't release them.

However, in past years when they did a combined VR + WS cut-off, they took your VR score and added it to a numerical conversion of your WS score.

WS scores were converted to a score out of 14 (or 15?) with T being worth maximum points and each successive lower letter score worth one numerical point less all the way down to J which was worth a 3 (?)

So you basically got a combined VR + WS score that was out of 29 (or 30?).

This was how they did combined cut-offs...so I would anticipate, although I have not heard for sure, that the scoring for ranking would be done similarly....

All MCAT scores from applicants are then rumoured to be basically put on a bell curve and you are given a score out of 25 that corresponds to the placement of your combined VR and WS MCAT scores on the curve.... So, the person with the lowest score in the applicant pool (total pool - not just interviewee pool) would get zero...and the person with the absolute highest scores would get 25....probably most of the interviewees would get ~20-23ish depending on their scores.

This is all rumour from the time that I applied (three cycles ago now) and I have never been able to confirm its accuracy...so interpret it with caution...this is in no way official information...and the official information will never be released.

Guest mydream88

does anyone have any idea at approximately what cutoff total score, interviewees are considered for a seat at the school?

I assume that they rank the overall interviewee scores and invite the top 133 applicants for a seat, however, I was just wondering what kind of cut-off score a successful interviewee usually has?

I realize of course that this information may not be something anyone knows or is willing to disclose. I am just super curious and not meaning to offend anyone.

thanks so much,

mydream88:)

Guest therealcrackers

No one will know, because the admissions committees will keep that information extremely confidential. Also, the scores will vary from year to year based on the entrance GPA and MCAT of the successful applicants.

Sorry, don't think we can help you beyond that.

Guest aneliz

There are a couple of reasons this information is not available:

1. It has never, ever, ever been released by UWO...ever.

2. It changes yearly...the cuts change every year, so the 'average' scores within the 'accepted' pool also change each year

3. The interview is worth a huge amount (50%)...so there is a wide range of scores in the top 133 people....if UWO wanted to offer admission to the top 133 GPA's and MCAT scores, they wouldn't have to put out the effort to have interviews.... If interviews didn't matter substantially to the rankings, they would be abandoned pretty quickly...because they are a logistical nightmare.

While I can't offer you any more official information (because I don't have any...not because I am just not sharing!)...I can tell you for sure that there are more than a few people in my class that had the cuts needed to get an interview (and nothing more)...and some of them got in first round...meanwhile, I know of several friends from undergrad, all of which had 3.95-4.00 GPA's and 11-15 on VR and Q-T on WS...and they got waitlisted...

Interviews DO carry A LOT of weight in the final rankings. Don't be obsessed by the numbers!!!

Guest medschoolboy

that's good to hear cuz i think my interview went pretty well although u can never really tell until u get that acceptance or rejection!

Archived