Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships/bursaries

Guest Crazyformeds

Guest Crazyformeds

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if our ever-so-experienced moderators could tell me what scholarships/bursaries are available to first year med students at UWO.

I filled out the online UWO bursary app. Are there others?

Are there scholarships that require an application or are most automatic? If they require applying, when must it be done - before or after starting med school?

Thanks! :P

Guest UWOMED2005

There are a limited number of entrance scholarships I was unaware of until 2nd year. I'm not sure of specifics, but I think they're given for things like highest entering GPA, highest entering aggregate score, daughter of interested-corporation employee or next best choice, best resident from opemikon county Ontario, etc.

If you get a scholarship, great. If not, Bursaries are a more realistic goal. If you're like me and had NO parental support but no undergrad debt, expect around $2500-$3000 in first, around $4500 in second year, and. . . well I haven't gotten to 3rd year, but I hear the bursaries jump to 5 figure (>$10k) for 3rd and 4th year.

Guest lcloh

I would recommend speaking to a Financial Aid counsellor. FinAid counsellors are provided by the university and you can make appointments there.

Just call (519) 661-2111 and when the operator comes on, ask for Fees and Financial Aid. They'll put you through to the receptionist, who'll ask you which faculty you're with.

Say medicine, and you'll probably be put through to the ladies in the FinAid office who specialize in helping medical students fund their education.

Archived