Premed 101 Forums

science requirement

Guest SarahL

I was just wondering about the requirement of the third science course unrelated to biology or chemistry, does anyone know if there needs to be a lab with it? Just wondering because I am already pushing the human limit as far as credit hours goes next year and was hoping to not have to take a lab with my physics. I was also considering not taking physics if I find after studying for the mcat this summer that I don't need to (doubtful I know) , does Statistics count as a science?

thanks in advance

There does not need to be a lab component to the third science course.

Basically, the third science course can be anything that is a science and is unrelated to biology or chemistry (exactly like it says in the admissions info) which pretty much limits you to the other branches of physical science....

Examples of things that would count:

Physics

Calculus or other Math courses

Computer sci

Engineering courses

Examples of things that wouldn't count:

Psychology

Biochemistry

Environmental Sci

Economics

I think that you should be good with stats...but keep in mind that you need 1.0 in 'other science'....which means that you would need to take a full year of stats or two half courses...and that is a lot of stats! Personally, I had a full year of physics (which was a requirement of my major) and a full year of calculus (half credit required and I took the second half as an elective). I would highly recommend the physics....not only for MCAT purposes but also as a good background for med...UWO teaches a good amount of biophysics in the first year curriculum (in a very short amount of lecture time!) and those without a physics background were totally lost....our MSSK block (and exam) spent a lot of time on stress and strain, elastic deformation and tensile strength...all topics that were not covered well in OAC physics but were beaten to death in my first year undergrad physics. I would really recommend picking up at least a half credit of physics (even without lab) if at all possible....not sure how helpful this would be at other schools but it will make your life easier in med I at UWO.

Good luck!

Thanks aneliz,

I do know how important it will be to have a good physics background, and really want to take it so hopefully I can handle it next year, I am only in my second year right now so maybe I can take it in fourth year if I can't do it next year

i have a few more questions, this year me being a non science student didn't realize that I had to register for a biology lab seperate from my lecture because in chemistry it was all one 5 cr class, so I took the lecture this year and need to take the lab next year, but I also was wondering if you have to have completed all the prerequisites by the time you apply or could you be doing one in the year you apply?

Also does the lab have to be a full year long? The reason I am asking is that I am returning to vancouver this summer and might be able to do the lab course at ubc, the only problem it that at ubc the first year biology lab is only a 1 cr course, and I think that it is only 1 semester when it runs during the year, here at unb it is a 2 cr per semester and a whole year. Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this, it is great the way you help all us med hopefuls out!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

You do not need to have all of the pre-reqs completed before you apply...you can still be taking them in the year that you are applying and you can also take them in the summer before med if you should be accepted. (You would get a conditional acceptance that specified which pre-reqs were not completed and you would need to have them completed by the end of August to keep your acceptance.)

The biology course that you use as a pre-req must have a lab component. Seeing as they specify that it is 1.0 in biology with a lab...I would assume that it would need to be the equivalent of a whole year (2 cr/semester) lab. I am fairly convinced of this by the way that they list the organic chem pre-reqs...it states that you must have 1.0 in organic chemistry with lab or two half credits in organic chem at least one of which has a lab....this would lead me to believe that you can get away with a half year of lab in orgo but, given that the same statement is not attached to the bio pre-req, you likely need a whole year of lab for bio....You might want to check this out for sure with the admissions office...Barbara or Darla would know for sure. I personally didn't run into this situation as my bio labs and lectures were part of the same course (like your chemistry). I would think that it would probably be best to do your lab course work at UNB rather then trying to do it on a letter of permission....might be easier to demonstrate to the admissions committee that the combination of what you took this year and the lab course next year together form a 1.0 in biology with lab package...it might get more difficult to prove that they are part of the same 'course' in pre-req terms if they are from different schools. Check with Darla in admissions for sure. You can e-mail her: admissions@fmd.uwo.ca She is the only one that can give you a definite answer on your situation.

Good luck!

its what i thought, but at least I might be able to hold off on that extra 2 cr per semester till fourth year and do the bio lab then,but I will definetely contact admissions before I register for anything, thanks again for the info

Archived