Premed 101 Forums

MCAT calculation

Guest Koggetsu

Guest Koggetsu

Since you need a 9/9/9/Q cutoffs for MCAT and 25% of your marks are based on the VR+WS marks of your MCAT, how is it calculated?

I heard that in WS J=4, K=5...T=14, so is it u just add the scores of the WS+VR/(14+15)?

Guest therealcrackers

I do not know how it is calculated. There is an empirical formula that the admissions committee will use to determine the final score... but the important distinction that occurs is that meeting the bare minimum requirements for an interview (9/9/9/Q) does NOT give you a score of 0/25... more likely a score of 18-20/25, again that's something specifics are not available on. Practical upshot is, since the interview is worth 50% of the final score, and the interviewed pool of applicants all meet a certain standard, the interview becomes that much more important... good luck!

Crackers is right...I am not sure exactly how the 25% MCAT score is calculated...apparently ONLY the VR and WS scores are used for the 25%...usually when UWO wants to convert the WS to numbers it is J=4 to T=14. And as stated previously, just meeting the cuts doesn't give you 0/25. Zero would be quite literally zero in both the VR and WS sections. As for how VR + WS is scaled to a mark out of 25, I have no clue. And, as a side note, I don't think that it has even been decided if the 'historical' formula will be used this year. This answer is based entirely on what happened last year and the year before...things could still change...the ad comm has not even discussed this part of the 'ranking' yet.

What you need to worry about at this point is doing as well as possible on your interview....the interview has sunk many a very high MCAT scorer's chances of admission while boosting the bare cut-off applicant to the top of the pile. Don't count on being okay with an average interview because your GPA and MCAT are really high! This is a myth that won't get you far.

Good luck!

Guest UWOMED2005

Last year someone involved with the process mentioned to me that a 3.7 is worth "roughly" 20/25. I'd guess the minimum MCATs to be somewhere close to that, but I don't know. In any case, you'll get a fair bit of credit for just making the cutoffss - meaning no matter how low your GPA/MCATs are you have a chance at acceptance, and no matter how high you have a shot at rejection. . .

Sounds like you're doing excatly what I tried to do when I was applying two years ago: Figure out, before June 1st, whether you'd be in or not. Trust me, you won't know until that date.

Archived