Premed 101 Forums

Organic chemistry half course

Guest hmsdread

Guest hmsdread

Hey all,

To anyone else who got an acceptance letter from UWO, did it mention how you needed to complete an organic chemsitry half course for the offer of admission to remain valid? I'm curious as to why they've gone out of their way to make sure people have organic chemistry...

Thanks...

hmsdread

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

They said that I had to complete an extra half-credit in senior non-science in my letter, so I'm sure they monitor whether or not you have the required prereqs. In a way, it's kind of nice to have that personal touch rather than some generic, you've been accepted mass mailing. Just my opinion.

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest hmsdread

Okay, I'm confused then... I have two organic chemistry courses from undergrad... why would I need another??

I better call them, I guess.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Did they have lab components to them? You're probably best to call since UWO is somewhat particular about what courses you can use to fulfill their prereqs- maybe your courses didn't make their master list.

Best of luck!

The TimmyMax

Guest hmsdread

Hey TimmyMax,

One of them had a lab, the other didn't. I also took a third course, the organic chemistry of biomolecules (kind of a orgo/biochem mix) that had a lab. The conditions posted on their website list three different ways to meet the requirements, but I don't know they're for this year of next.. one is a full year orgo with lab, one is with two orgo half courses with at least one lab, and one is using one orgo course with lab and a biochem course with or without a lab...

I'm just a little confused, and a little paranoid...it would really suck if they tell me I need another course, cause there's pretty much no way I could do it (summer session availability here is pretty much nill). I fired off an email already, and if I don't get a response back tommorrow I'll be calling ASAP.

hmsdread

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the conditions posted on the UWO website are for the September 2003 admission cycle. Seems like a pretty raw deal, since they've been up for the last few months, but surely you can force your way into a summer course to get the required prereqs- I'm sure that any prof worth his or her salt would let you in if you explained the situation to them. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Best of luck with the admissions people!

Take care,

Tim

Guest hmsdread

Hey again,

The problem is that there are no organic chem courses offered this summer at Windsor. I can't see how this won't be cleared up though; obviously there are other students from Windsor that are in Western meds. The next course I could take would be intermediate organic chemistry, and I'm positive that such an advanced course is not needed.

I'm sure this can be worked out with the admissions people, but I can't be happy about the letter until I'm sure... :S

hmsdread

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey HMSDread,

I have no idea. . . I didn't have anything like that on my letter last year. For the record, one of my classmates had to head off to McGill for the summer (at extra expense) to complete his organic chemistry during the summer session. That could be one solution to your problem.

With your Hx (history) it sounds like you might be able to argue things. Explain the situation to Darla/Barbara: Be firm, but definitely be polite! I had a similar issue last year (my non-science courses were assessed as science courses. . . long story) and with a bit of explaining, I was able to get that changed. So hopefully you will.

And Timmymax - get that situation with your non-science credits fixed ASAP. . . Eralc would be very disappointed if you couldn't make it in because you forgot to take a 1/2 credit in an elective of (almost entirely) your own choosing.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey UWOMED2005,

Thanks for the concern! Luckily I completed said extra 1/2 credit this past April in anticipation of a magical envelope from UWO. I cleared everything with Darla, and she said I'd be golden for next year. And the GPA thing won't be a problem either. So it should be smoooooooooth sailing 'til late August!

Take care!

Tim

Guest TimmyMax

Why am I getting the feeling that I am never, ever going to live down the infamous Eralc situation? Ah well, makes life all the more interesting- I wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Take care, all!

TimmyMax

Guest hmsdread

Hey UWOMED2005 and TimmyMax,

I emailed the admissions staff last night and told them what courses I had. They sent me a response this morning, telling me they checked with the associate dean, and he ok'd my second organic chem course, thus completing my pre-req conditions. I think I may have just listed the wrong course during the omsas application. And since my GPA won't be a problem, looks like I'll be meeting you guys come August/September.

Thanks for your reply.

hmsdread

Guest TimmyMax

Hey hmsdread,

That great to hear! You must be very relieved. Looking forward to getting a chance to meet you and some of the others that post here in September. Maybe all of us should wear nametags with our handles on them to make things easier- or maybe a UWO EZBoard posters dinner sometime in early September. Ah well, I'm sure we'll all get a chance to meet the people behind the names soon enough! :)

Take care,

Tim

Archived