Premed 101 Forums

Meal Plan

Guest drmd

Can you please explain Western’s Meal Plan? When and how do you pay for this? And what are the advantages to having one, and are there any disadvantages? Thank you to all those who'll reply.

There is a campus meal plan office in the University Community Centre (UCC) and you can go there pretty much anytime during the day and school year and pay whenever you want. Advantage - you don't pay tax.. Disadvantage - the meal card is only valid on campus and at selected off-campus locations. Conclusion: It's good to have some money on your card for those inevitable times when you'll be eating on campus, but don't load up on it.

Note that they have a huge "300, at cost" plan. That's only for students in residence. If you have that plan, you still only get tax off at on-campus eateries (you CAN walk to residences and get at-cost there if you chose to, but it's kinda inconvenient and all and plus they might not let you in after 7pm.)

Cheers!

Guest hoping

Could lcloh, or anyone please elaborate on the above "300, at cost" plan. I'm very much lacking in culinary skills so I'd like as much info on this meal plan. Thanks a lot :D

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't know about the 300 at cost, but two years ago I got 20% of everything by investing ?$495? for the term. I did end up using it up on lunches + dinners.

I think last year the price was something around that... under $500 per term (Sept. - Dec. is one term, and Jan. - Apr. is the other). You can use it at many places on campus, plus some off campus places too. Basically it's 5% off, PLUS you pay no tax... but the prices on campus are pretty expensive, IMO, so the 20% off is kind of needed to make it a decent deal.

Archived