Premed 101 Forums

WGPA cutoffs?

Guest fingerscrossed06

Guest fingerscrossed06

I am new to this all, and I have seen on a number of posts that people will state WGPA cutoffs for different schools. I was only aware of GPA cutoffs pre-application, such that they say only apply if you are 3.0 and above etc? Where are all these other numbers coming from?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Ottawa ask OMSAS to calculate a weighted GPA (WGPA) (using a unique formula) which they subsequently use to determine whose files shall be reviewed. Once the WGPAs are calculated they take the whole applicant pool and stratify it according to applicant place of residence. Depending on the place of residence, different WGPA cut-offs are applied, e.g., an Ottawa resident will have a lower WGPA to meet than will a Toronto resident.

Other schools in Ontario (and across the country) use the GPA in different ways, e.g., McMaster has OMSAS calculate a GPA using all courses ever completed; UofT uses just those courses completed during a regular school year, etc.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

The WGPA scheme does not exclusively apply to Ottawa.

Northern Ontario uses the same formula to calculate a WGPA cutoff for its applicants. This occurs at Stage 2 of the admissions procedure; after the WGPA for each candidate is confirmed, interviews are sent out accordingly (stage 3).

Guest fingerscrossed06

Thanks guys!

So how do people that have been posting know the cut-offs for this year? Where did they get them? -and does anyone know what they were?

From what I have gathered talking to Denis many times, the cutoff GPA is only used to determine who will get an interview. Once the X amount of people have been invited for an interview, the slate is wiped clean and your undergrad GPA no longer factors into whether you will be accepted or not.

So basically, unlike schools such as McMaster and Manitoba, which factor your GPA into the final merit list for acceptance, Ottawa bases their acceptance list solely on the results of the interview. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your GPA is not factored into your application past the interview stage.

Guest silverjelly86

That's not right. Persons are offered admission in order of highest interview scores, but if two people have the same interview score, the person with the higher GPA will get the spot. Maybe this makes more sense (directly from UOttawa):

"A composite score of the interview assessment followed by the WGPA is then calculated and a final selection is made for the offers of admission. . . . Following the interview, preliminary rank order lists are drawn up based on the composite scores. Candidates with the highest interview score will be offered first in the order of their composite score, followed by those with the next highest interview score and so on. The admissions committee may take other factors into consideration when ranking each candidate."

Guest Talon01

Holla,

I think people deduce what the cutoffs are for the upcomming year from the trends observed from previous years. They don't really change too much, maybe +/- .04 points are most year-to-year.

Guest Talon01

I *THINK* around 3.87 anglophone in-province but out of Ottawa, 3.5ish for anglophone from Ottawa and/or French?

It should be in the OMSAS book.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :\

Guest medsoneday

Hey guys,

This is the response I got from UofO when I asked for the cut offs.

The cut-offs for academic performance is based on a list of priorities which is matched to the geographical status of the applicant. The geographical status is confirmed by the permanent residence (home address) and is verified with the activities listed on your sketch.

Applications from candidates to advance in the selection process last year goes as follow:

- Applicants who apply to the Consortium National de

formation en santé (CNFS): residents from outside the provinces of Ontario and Québec applying to the French program 3.40/4.00

- Applicants who are sponsored by the Canadian Forces (CF) 3.40/4.00

- Aboriginals 3.40/4.00

- Residents from Ontario and the Outaouais region applying to the French program 3.40/4.00

- Residents from under-serviced areas (as determined by the Faculty) 3.55/4.00

- Residents from the region (Ottawa-Outaouais)3.60/4.00

- Residents from the province of Ontario 3.83/4.00

- Residents from other provinces 3.87/4.00

Medsoneday

Guest fingerscrossed06

Weird. I didn't make the Ontario cutoff but got an interview. They must have considered me from an underserviced area because I don't meet any of the other criteria.

Archived