Premed 101 Forums

Western admission formula

Guest aneliz

Guest aneliz

This might be a stupid question but....

I have read that if you get an interview at Western, the final admission decision is:

25% MCAT (VR & WS)

25% GPA

50% Interview

How is the 25% GPA component calculated? I know that it is supposed to be your best year and your last year. Is your last year used simply as a 'flag' (i.e. offer revoked if <3.65) OR is your actual last year GPA factored into that 25% to alter your rank and chances of an offer? Any insight moderators?

Guest UWOMED2005

It's the flag option you suggested. It's your best year's GPA that's factored into the 25%.

By the way - I have no idea how GPAs are converted to that 25%. I'm not sure anyone posting on this board does - perhaps our admissions committee members. We don't exactly go around comparing GPAs from undergrad - but I know one classmate had a 3.98 gpa overall (U of T gold medallist) and another had 3.63 in his last year (3.60 was the cutoff last year.) So anything's possible. Same goes for the MCAT - I have no idea how they convert MCAT score to THAT 25%, and while I'm fuzzier on MCAT scores, I'm sure you'd find a huge range for our class in that category as well. Last year, they interviewed about 380 people and had to send out 190 or so acceptances to fill the 118 spots. If you want to calculate odds then, they're about 1 in 2, and that's not including anyone on the waitlist who wasn't offered an initial skipped after July 3rd (when acceptances become final so if you got in you're taken off all waitlists.)

Bottom line: The interview is worth 50%; you're more likely to make it in with a perfect gpa (4.0) and MCATS (ie 43 T - I count a 13 MCAT as a 13) but as long as you're above the cutoffs and you do well in your interview anything is possible. If you do poorly in your interview (ie tell the committee that you shouldn't get into medicine because you are a homicidal maniac and you're goal in medicine is to euthanize as many patients as possible) then your odds of finally being accepted are much, much smaller. Beyond that, you'll just have to do do your interview and wait for June 1st (I know, it sucks - you want to know NOW, at least I did last year. . . but the time WILL pass, don't worry.)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest applicant

hi there,

I know this is getting into the nitty-gritty details, but nonetheless....I was wondering if anyone knew if the interviewers typically give out scores that range from 0-50 (I guess 50 being perfect as the interview counts for 50%...) Do they compare evals. between interviewing groups as marking is bound to have different ranges with different interviewers?

btw, why is UWO interviewing more candidates this year than last if there are the same number of seats open? Again, I know the "uselessness" of such facts to my chances of admissions, but all the same, I'm just wondering....

thanx!

Guest UWOMED2005

Last question first. . . they're interviewing more candidates because there's MORE seats available this year (133) than last (118.)

Now, your other question. First of all, my answer is completely conjecture. I've never been an interviewing committee, so I don't really know. Just think about how you fill out your Prof's evaluations. . . the sheets the interviewers use to evaluate you (I caught a glimpse of one during my interview last year) are somewhat like that - you're basically rated on a scale of 1 to 5 in numerous categories and get a cumulative score from that.

There is NO comparison of evaluations before they hand it in. . . but I have heard that they do compare between interviewing groups to make sure no groups are giving out all '5's and other groups all '2's - so it's not like everyone who's in the 2005 class were all interviewed by the same 3 people.

Anyways, I think I've already answered this question in some form. . . I think I'm going to have to start answering these questions with a "wait until June 1st to find out" kind of answer.

Good Luck,

JJ Rader

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I don't really have much to add here other than to confirm JJ's 1-5 scale comment- I too caught a glimpse of my evaluation sheet- seems my student was too busy dozing to keep it concealed from me. Seemed like there were about 15-20 different categories, though. Alas, for all of my efforts, I saw no marks filled in. In retrospect, I probably like it better that way!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest UWOMED2005

Your student was dozing as well? (just like to point out the fact I'm in the class of 2005 to relax those of you who bore your student rep to death.) Sounds like 'Ekul' Bearss in physiology class. . . too bad I couldn't let you guys log onto our class forum.

Archived