Premed 101 Forums

rejection letter????

Guest addi

has anyone else not received any news from uwo yet???

I'm expecting a rejection, but I am wondering when it is coming...it seems like everybody has heard already (both rejections and interviews)...

should I give them a call?

Guest UWOMED2005

Definitely call. As far as I know, all letters have been sent out by now. And mistakes do happen - last year I didn't think I'd get an interview (confused about the best/last year thing) only to be pleasantly surprised when my invitation came, and a friend of mine this year received a rejection due to a mistake on the part of OMSAS - a mistake which was eventually corrected.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest annoyed

I got my rejection letter around the first week in March and I was quite annoyed by the fact that I missed the cut offs by one lousy mark in verbal reasoning. I only applied because Western had the cut offs from 2001 on their website (8's across the board) and so I thought that I was okay, especially since I had aced all the other sections. Who knew that it would become 9's across the board this year. It is rather stupid that they don't come out and say what their cut offs will be for a given year, since it would save a person a LOT of $$ and frustration. I realize that their applicant pool changes from year to year, but schools like Toronto let all applicants know right off the bat. Well, too bad for Western because I am positive that they miss out on a lot of excellent potential doctors because of their stringent MCAT cut offs.

If you look at Western's MCAT cutoffs from the past few years before last year, you'll see the verbal requirement was 9... so it's not like the cutoffs have risen to unprecedented levels. Plus it's still lower than the Queen's cutoff.

Guest UWOMED2005

Actually, the cutoffs have reverted to the cutoff's from two years ago. . . 9/9/9/P and 3.65.

I agree. . . the med schools really should publicize their cutoffs before asking for $75 + $150 in general OMSAS fees. . . but (Western at least, and I believe many others do this as well) most of the med schools want to take a look at the general applicant pool first. From what I know of Western, they look at the pool first, and then tailor the cutoffs to get to the number of people they want to interview.

Also. . . just want to point out that last year's cutoffs were NOT 8s across the board. . . you COULD get a minimum of 8 but your total score had to add to something (I can't remember the exact formula - it was complex.) If anything, the scores are a bit lower this year. . . but I know a number of great applicants who got screwed by the 9s vs. 8s thing.

And the unfortunate reality is that many potential/future great doctors get screwed by the admissions system. Problem is, you telling the school that you'd be a great doctor means relatively dipsh-t (well, at least until the interview stage!) - they get about 1600-1700 (in the case of Western) each year and there's no way to really go through them. So they have to devise a system to analyze them for interviews (at Western, GPA and MCAT. . . at Mac it's GPA and interview score) and then stick rigidly to that system. . . it probably does weed out great applicants but it's the only thing they can do.

Anyways (poor consolation, but) good luck on your future apps. . . if you're that close I'd be surprised not to see you get in somewhere and not see you on the wards some day.

-JJ

Archived