Premed 101 Forums

This kinda sucks. . .

Guest bruhaha

Guest bruhaha

"• The University of Western Ontario has pled guilty to infractions under the Liquor Licence Act of Ontario dating back to last year. . . the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario has suspended the school's liquor licence for this year's Orientation Week, which means a mighty dry introduction for UWO's frosh this fall."

imprint.uwaterloo.ca/stor...story=5368

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, I guess it kind of does suck if you are a frosh! Bear in mind, though, that this probably only applies to on-campus events- I doubt that the province would penalize off-campus locations for the actions and stupidity of some underaged frosh who were dumb enough to get caught last year...

The good news is that this won't affect the Medicine Orientation (which is the only orientation that matters anyway)- nothing but good, clean, wholesome fun for the whole family over there! Well, medical student family anyway...

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest nextstopmd

I'm not going to UWO in the fall, but I'll just point out a couple of things.

1) O-Week (for undergrads) at UWO has been dry for the past 4 years already, meaning there has been no alcohol available at official orientation events.

2) The ban is in effect for Sept 5 to 12, so I think you guys would miss most of it with your O week being earlier...

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll still have a blast!

Guest aneliz

Here are a couple of points:

1. Meds O-week is earlier...(2 weeks earlier) than the suspension. So, it won't affect your O-week in any way.

2. Meds events generally stay off campus as much as possible during the height of undergrad frosh week....just because there are too many screaming 18 year olds...and they really aren't in the same social group as we are...if you go off campus you avoid the lines....because the frosh haven't figured out where the off campus bars are yet!

3. As already mentioned, official UWO frosh events have already been dry for a few years....

Guest therealcrackers

The one place it's really going to hurt is the one place on campus most of the med students go: the Grad Club in the basement of Middlesex College. Especially since Spoke-a-roke is now history... too bad, eh, TMax?

Guest aneliz

Yes... the spoke is being renovated this summer into an 'alcohol free' lounge area for students... I believe they are keeping the bar area but it will be walled off from the main area and will be MUCH smaller. What used to be the spoke will be dry....

Guest DrSahsi

That's dreadful.

My favourite memory of the Spoke has to be the day that we all went there at lunch, right after writing our first Anatomy bell-ringer, at the end of our first of many week-long examination marathons.

A bunch of us got plowed. Really plowed. Then we had to write the "progress test" that afternoon (like Mac's PPI... a scaled down LMCC style exam to make sure we're gradually improving over our four years of medical school). Most entertaining exam I've ever seen written. Our class' behavour was, if I remember correctly, less than professional. :rollin

They stopped giving "progress tests" after that. :lol

- Rupinder

Guest aneliz

Grad club is still there....in all of its glory... however, it looks like it too will be dry for a week during the suspension thanks to the underage dumba$$es that just had to get caught drinking in the Wave last year...>:

Guest aneliz

Progress tests....hmm...never heard about those at UWO before... I guess the 'professional' results from your class fixed that up! :lol I suppose that we owe you guys a thank you!

Guest DrSahsi

Yeah. The idea was to write one of these "progres tests" after each set of exams (so, three times a year). On the first we were expected to get something like 5-10%, and gradually improve over the years, until we hit scores consistent with passing the LMCC. They made the mistake of telling us the first one wouldn't count, and put it at the end of a very long week. They were going to give us a second one, a couple of weeks after the following exam week instead of right after it... but it never happened. They haven't tried with any other class either.

You can thank our class for that all you'd like, but our class is probably also the reason they have such a stringent attendance policy for classes in fourth year, among other things. :o

Guest lcloh

you mean..like getting your classmates to sign in for you and have the lecturer wonder why there's 22 signatures when he only saw 14 students? :)

Archived