Premed 101 Forums

Western pre-requisites

Guest Katie MB

Guest Katie MB

Hi,

I was just hoping someone could confirm that for Western you need 6 courses of social sciences or arts in order to be eligible. I started my application for Western on OMSAS and then just realized today that the web-site said 3 full year equivalents. I had convinced myself that only 3 course equivalents were needed. I am rather disappointed, because with my major in Chem and minor in Biochem, I only have room for 3 electives on top of the first year english which means I am one course short of the pre-requisites. Plus, since I won't have an honours degree I won't be able to apply next year. I don't particularly want to drop my minor just to take one arts course and I also don't want to overload my last year with an extra course.

Thanks, Katie

Hi Katie MB!

You're right...you need 6 non-science courses (3 full years) to apply to Western. I did a year each of music, English, and psychology, and that worked for me. It is hard to fit it into a busy schedule, especially if you're doing a minor, but you can probably do the course you're lacking during the summer. I know some students accepted at Western have had to complete an essay course the summer prior to starting meds, so you could do that if you were stuck. Good luck with your course selections!

TK

Guest aneliz

That's right...

To apply to UWO you need the following:

3.0 full year courses OR 6 half-credits in arts/social science

You only need to complete these before you register...so you can finish the final half credit that you are missing during the summer after your degree if you wish.

Effective fall 2006 (not next year), you will need a 4-year honours degree to apply...but you will no longer need the pre-reqs. There are still 2 application cycles to go (the one happening now, and next year) under the old pre-req system.

Guest Gill0927

Hi,

I believe with the new admissions standards (not coming into effect for a couple years, yet), you can be in your fourth year when applying...you just need to have a 4-year honours degree by the time you register (ie acceptances would be conditional on successful completion of the honours degree by, say, the end of the summer).

But remember -- the '4-year honours degree' requirement isn't for this (or the next, I believe) app cycle...so you've got a couple years still.

Hope this helps,

Gill :)

Guest aneliz

Correct.

The new application rules come into effect 2 years from now - for those people that are applying in fall 2006 to start med school in Sept 2007.

You will be able to apply during your 4th year in the new system...but you will not be able to register unless you show proof that you have completed your 4 year honours degree.

Same as now... where you can apply during third year, but if you get in, you will have to show proof that you have finished 3 years of university to register.

Archived