Premed 101 Forums

User UWOMED2005

Guest drbutterwick

Guest drbutterwick

Hey man,

I was reading some of your posts about your summers off. Nice to see that there is a fellow Med student who surfs! This is completely unrelated to school, but...I'm heading to Europe August 9th before I start my first year of Meds. Sometime during my travels I'm going to make it to the coast for some surfing. My question for you is, where should I go? I'm thinking the southern tip of Portugal would be the best, but how's the surf on the north coast. I'm looking to surf a sand break, not rocks....I'm not that confident. Do you have any advice?

Cheers, Derek

Hey I am another first year med student to be and just returned from a Europe trip. I spent a lot of time in Portugal and HAVE to recommend Lagos (southern coast just outside Faro). It’s this amazing coast town with great beaches and you can swim through the grottos and apparently there are some great surf spots just a bus ride away where I know they have stuff for everyone from beginners to people who live to surf. A lot of the people staying at the hostel would go everyday. The atmosphere there is fabulous (TONS of amazing people) and its SUPER cheap!!! I travelled all over Europe and this was by far my favourite place. I travelled with a few surfers for a while (who carried their boards ALL over Europe....mainland and all) and they also raved about Cadiz which unfortunately I didn’t have time to go to but they loved it. I’m soooo jealous you are heading out there....you'll love it. It was extremely hard to come home but at least you have the beginning of meds to look forward to. If you want more info about Lagos just let me know.

Suzanne

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, the only place in Europe I've surfed is near Sagres, on tours organized from Lagos as a starting spot. It was pretty comparable to the surf offered in Nova Scotia, maybe a bit better.

I understand Biarritz is also good, but haven't surfed there yet.

Guest drbutterwick

Hey,

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be sure to check out Lagos. semt, do you recall the name of the hostel you stayed at? If you're saying it's cheap, that's even better. I know my stop in London will be far from cheap. I've heard there is good surf in Biarritz too, but the beaches there are just packed with people and local surfers. I may head somewhere that's a little more low key. Looks like I've got some research to do. Thanks again.

Cheers, Derek

Its the international youth hostel and its super cheap (10E a night) but its really busy. I am not sure if you can book ahead but even if you get there and there are no rooms they will refer you to this lady in the village who rents out rooms. I saw a few and they are really nice. But, if you can get into the hostel do because they organize all kinds of crusises and nights out which will make your stay that much more enjoyable. I will warn you though because I know that it gets really busy in the middle of the summer so you might want to check it out before you leave. I also heard a lot of good stuff about Biarritz (I think that actually might of been the town I was thinking of when I said Cadiz???) Either way you'll have a great time I can't wait to go back. Good luck with the plans!!

Suzanne

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I stayed in a rented room at a portuguese woman's house when I was in Lagos. Cheap, clean and convenient. I'd recommend repeating it.

Archived