Premed 101 Forums

Orientation Week

Guest Ninja

Guest Ninja

Here's the website for the O-Week that us 2007s went through, put on by the 2006s:

www.uwomeds.com/oweek/

What do you guys think of the lineup we had? Any ideas or suggestions for the 2008 Orientation Week? It's being planned this summer so if you leave your suggestions here, I will be sure to pass on the word to the O-Week co-ordinators in my class.

Thanks!

Guest T dawg 2004

I am a big fan of the show SCRUBS. I dunno if that's good enough for a theme - but it'd be interesting to maybe have a SCRUBS marathon or something.

T

Guest aneliz

I know T-max has the entire first season (at least) of scrubs on CD.... you will have to ask him exactly what he has when he gets back online. (He is in Australia right now!)

Guest Ninja

I think he has both the entire 1st and 2nd season. How do I know? He borrowed the CDs from me so he could make copies for himself. ;) I'm gonna work on getting the whole 3rd season this summer.

About O-Week: The theme has already been decided. I believe it's somewhat of a secret for now so I can't say anything more. O-Week activities are generally more "get out there and do stuff" oriented rather than chill at home and watch Scrubs type activities. Watching Scrubs IS fun though and we had a bunch of people watching it together in the meds lounge every week for the first couple of months of the year. We can start that up again in the Fall if there's interest and maybe organize regular Scrubs viewings at lunch in the 1st year classroom.

Guest aneliz

It shouldn't be... but keep in mind that classes start on Aug 30 this year... and White coat will likely be the Wed before that...so you may have to advise the office that you won't be there for registration and get some running around done later (student card, etc) than the rest of the group do it.

Hey!

I have only one request...that water trampoline at Grand Bend sounds like a TON of fun. As an avid swimmer, water trampoline = heaven, so hopefully that'll get incorporated into O-Week somewhere. Even if the trampoline doesn't make it in, I'm sure whatever ends up getting planned will be amazing! On another note, I was wondering...when do we find out the details about O-Week?

Good luck with the planning!

TK

Guest Gill0927

I agree...the water trampoline DID sound good!

Seriously though, I looked at last year's O-week website and it looked amazing...It sounded really good. So unfortunately, it being 8:20 in the morning (when I'm not at my creative best...although I suppose that will have to change now that I'll have regular 8:00 class -- which reminds me, is there a Tim Hortons near the 1st year classroom at Western?), I have no further ideas. I'm sure whatever the 2007's have planned for us is awesome. One thing I liked about last year's schedule is the large amount of outdoors-y stuff...so more like that would be good!

Gill [who has now decided on UWO (again)] :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey Ninja,

Yeah, you might have to "introduce" some software onto the computers in DS1002 and MS146 (or whatever the 2nd year classroom is) in order to run Scrubs next year- the computers wouldn't for the life of me play them the way that you had copied them onto CD-ROM. I hear ya on the 3rd season, however, I have found getting episodes excruciatingly tough to get for some reason- I only have like 8/22 of them. Maybe we can pool our resources to hopefullycome up with a complete set? Anyway, we've got all summer!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest aneliz

O-week starts with the White coat ceremony...which is the Wed before classes start usually...this year, that will make it the 25th of Aug. There will be academic orientation/registration stuff that you will have to attend on the Thurs or Fri...and lots of social events in the evenings and during the weekend. Classes will start on Monday morning, but there will still be after-school activities (dinners, wine and cheese, etc) until O-week winds up around Wed of the first week of class.

Guest Gunz4Sale

What time was the white coat ceremony last year? I'm flying in from Vegas on the 24th but really late at night. I was just wondering if it will be in the the morning or in the afternoon of the 25th...

Guest aneliz

The white coat ceremony has traditionally been a morning gig. Students had to be there ~9ish to register...I think the actual ceremony was ~10ish.

Archived