Premed 101 Forums

Exam Schedule

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

How is the UWO exam period structured? In other words, do you have exams after each system, or do you have several exams at the end of the semester (trimester? quarter?)?

How many exams do you typically have at once? How much time off do you get after your last class until your first exam?

Thanks for the information.

Elaine

Guest aneliz

Exams at UWO are done by quarter/trimester...although I see in the new schedule, that first year will now be in trimesters as well.

Check out the schedule here:

www.fmd.uwo.ca/UME/sch04-...glance.htm

Each exam covers a 'system' or block from that trimester. So if there were 4 blocks in the trimester, there will be 4 exams. The exams each include questions from each of the courses (anatomy, physiology, etc) that relate to the block being examined.

You usually have the exam over the space of a one-week 'exam week' (4-5 days) and depending on where things like Thanksgiving or Easter fall, you may have exams in a 4 day week (1 exam per day). Exams are usually in the mornings (9-12ish).

You don't get a lot of time off to study for exams before they happen. Usually they will try and go light on the class schedule the week before and give you some free hours (or afternoons if you are really lucky!) for 'self directed learning'.

Generally you get a weekend between your last class and your first exam in first year (last class Fri, first exam Mon morning). You usually get an afternoon off before exams start in second year - because the weeks start on Thurs and go until Wed for some odd reason. So, last class Wed , first exam Thurs morning...but you do get a weekend off to study in the middle of an exam week in second year...so I guess it all balances out.

Guest Gill0927

Hi Elaine,

Well, a moderator can correct me if I'm wrong here (I haven't started at Western yet, so the info I have is off the website and stuff), but as far as I know Westen holds 3 sets of Exams. One is at the end of November, one in March, and one at the end of May. It seems as if each set of exams is a week long, and it covers all the units (blocks) that were completed prior to that exam period.

I don't know how many exams are actually in each exam period, nor do I know how much time we have between last class and first exam (although if I had to guess, since we have class all week the week before exams, and exams last a week, I'd say it's somewhere in the vicinity of last class is Friday, and first exam is Monday).

Hope this little bit helps,

Gill :D

Archived