Premed 101 Forums

Turning down Queen's for Western?

Guest md23

Guest md23

Hi,

I just noticed that between here and the Queen's forum a lot of people seem to be going with Western over Queen's. Is there any particular reason for this? I am interested in why so many of you have decided to go with Western.

ps. not that I think queen's is way better or anything, they just seem pretty similar to me

md23

Guest Ninja

-Western's widely acclaimed atmosphere

-The city (not a metropolis but there's a helluva lot more to it than Kingston)

-Year 1/2 Curriculum (Systems based; not sure if Queen's is like this, but if it is, ignore this point)

-Clerkship and the ratio of physicians to students for teaching

-Our teaching hospitals

-The sheer amount of things there are to do in terms of extra-curricular clubs and associations at the university itself

-The campus (at least as good as Queen's; better, if you ask me)

Guest Gill0927

Hi,

Just to give you a few of the reasons for my choosing Western over the other schools --

- clerkship! Everything I've heard about Western's clerkship puts it way above the rest of the Ontario schools

- curriculum in years 1 and 2 -- I know someone at Queen's who couldn't stand phase 1 and had a rough time of 1st year because of it, and I think, the way I learn, that I would be the same way

- clerkship start time -- I don't want to wait an extra 6 months to start my clinical years! I want my clerkship to start as early as possible, and Western's earlier than Queen's

- London vs. Kingston -- no contest

I guess that's it for big things. For me, a lot of little stuff also factored into my decision. When it came down to it, there was no contest between my choices of the two schools...in fact, Western was my top choice of the 4 schools I was considering and Queen's was my last choice. But that's just me. I know lots of people at Queen's who absolutely love it and wouldn't dream of having gone anywhere else.

-- Gill :D

Guest Gunz4Sale

Snoop. Dre, Cube and Pac (among a host of others) have all maintained for several years that the West Side was the best side. Who am I to argue?

In reality, I chose Western over Queen's for both academic and non-academic reasons, though mostly for the latter.

I like the early start to clerkship, I like the pass/fail system, I like the heavy involvement clerks enjoy during rotations.

Really though, I like London as a city. I did my undergrad in Kingston and it was great, I had a lot of fun. I just felt like 8 years would be too much, there wasn't a whole lot to do anymore, I felt like I wore out the town by my 3rd year. It is such a small campus and it has such an isolated feel. This can be good at first but after a while, it can grate on your nerves. Now that I'm 23 and not 19, I feel like my life shouldn't be isolated in a little social/cultural bubble, which is something Queen's students will tell you about. I have no doubts that the quality of the education at Queen's is excellent - their anatomy museum is amazing and I did life sci there, so I know that the instructors are top notch.

I'm sure had I not had other options, I could have made it work in Kingston, my significant other still goes there so I will be visiting a lot. Personally, I just needed a change.

Guest CareBear15

I would have *loved* to go to Western but alas the decision was made for me to go to Queen's (don't get me wrong, I love Queen's too)... but I think one great thing about Queen's is that we're not in lecture for crazy hours on end. Both schools are great, the experience is totally going to be what you make of it.

Guest DrTK

Hi Everyone!

I ended up picking Western over Queens for several reasons. The main one was the size of Western (and the London/Windsor hospital network) versus Queens. I think I will be exposed to a lot more through Western's network than the Queens network, although I was advised by a Queens student that the Queens clerkship was by no means inferior to Western's. I spoke with a lot of doctors (and had them speak to a lot of doctors) and the general consensus was that although they thought "Western may be slightly weaker in clinical, it would still be better to go to Western because of the size of Queens." I was sitting on the fence before that comment, leaning a little towards Western, and for me that just sealed the deal. There were a lot of things pulling me to Queens (brother starting undergrad there in the fall, parents retiring there, sister going to UMontreal) but in the end I decided that Western appealed to me more. Western also happens to have the #1 university synchro team in the country...which I plan to swim on!

I don't think it would have made much of a difference wherever I went, because both schools have excellent reputations and both will provide me with the skills I need to become an excellent physician. I would've been happy at either, but unfortunately you can't go to two schools so Western was my choice.

TK

Archived