Premed 101 Forums

in class hook-ups

Guest abigunit

Guest abigunit

A friend of mine, who is finishing his second year, told me that there are quite a few "hook-ups" at medicine parties, is this true?

Guest ESiz2ez

i don't think it's just western meds, but at any party when people get drunk and they get horny, and the sexual tension that's built up from being together all the time everyday, there's going to be some heavy grinding, making out and sometimes more... usually it's just for fun and we forget about it, just like in undergrad parties, but it just sucks when the guy that you bring home drunk after a class birthday party leaves before you wake up and never calls you back and says its a mistake and you have to avoid him everyday in class for the next two and a half years... if i can just give you one piece of advice it's that class incest can really suck hard... becareful of what you do when all you need is a little loving after you've been working so hard at making honors because beer goggles plus the wrong guy or girl might just make the rest of the year suck a lot...

Guest Ian Wong

Anytime you have a party with lots of people and lots of alcohol, anything can happen. Med students are people too. Professionalism inside or outside of the medical setting is whatever you make it to be.

Ian

Guest Ninja

Yeah hookups do happen and classcest does happen too. Definitely within the first month of school we saw our first couple come together and now there are almost ten couples within the class. It's a consistent trend throughout most classes at Western and I believe at other medical schools as well. Many people are engaged by the time 2nd and 3rd year rolls around but not necessarily to classmates (although that does happen). I went to the 4th year convocation and they mentioned that by that time there were 3 babies in the class, but I have a feeling those were not babies between two people in the same class but rather someone in the class and a S.O. from outside of meds (at least at our school).

Classcest (whether a hookup or dating) is probably ill-advised just cause if it does happen to fail, then you see the person too regularly for comfort for the next 3-4 years. Still though, some people find the loves of their life in meds. Just be careful!

We had a seminar on medical marriages early this year which was pretty interesting. People who have failed and succeeded in medical marriages come and tell us about their experiences and tell us how they made it work or what they think might have gone wrong. If you're interested, keep your eyes open for that one!

Guest adlinner

Yikes, Ninja, spreading the gossip about me.

I remember at the white coat ceremony how almost every speaker who went up (deans, vice-deans, profs, admin, students) talked about the high frequency of people getting into relationships with another classmate. One doctor recounted how he met his wife over their shared cadaver. I laughed at how much everyone was talking about it, as if was just going to happen that often; it at least certainly was not going to affect me and my rules - classcest, that's a no-no, right?

I like to add that many people keep in-class relationships on the DL, at least for a little while, to make sure it works out. I'm of course usually out of the loop...

Guest UWOMED2005

My perspective is a bit different. From my experience, a lot of students avoid hooking up with people in their own class. You're going to be in close quarters for 4 whole years, so if you good things up in O-week and feel awkward around that person, you'll be feeling awkward around them for a long time.

Additionally, with such a small class everybody seems to know everybody else's business. . . date someone in your own class and you can't help but a) have everybody interested (and perhaps even informed) as to what's going on and B) be subject to the rumour mill.

There have been a few couples hook up in our class, and yep, there have been a few meltdowns.

But on the flip side, we do have a number of relationships that seem to be strong including one married couple who met within the class (no other engagements that I know of). One interesting thing to note is that many of these people didn't hook up right away but were friends first, only deciding to hook up after they'd gotten a sense for who the other person was.

If it truly is meant to be, I don't think being in the same class will be barrier. But if you're heading to O-week in the fall hoping to cruise through the members of the opposite sex in your class, I'd rethink your strategy.

Overall, there are a lot of engagements in our class. I've lost track, but I think somewhere between 5-10 (possibly more) of the 118 in the class are already married with another 10-20 engaged. Personally, I find it perplexing to see such a huge percentage of people our age engaged or married (considering my non-med friends are nowhere near that level), but most of the couples seem to be truly in love, or at the least, stable and committed.

No babies yet. But I do believe the first child of the class of 2005 is due in the early fall. :)

Guest lcloh

iirc, MED2005, wasn't your class a bit on the quieter side in the relationship scene? (at least until FSS :P)

greetings from berlin (with love) ;)

L

Archived