Premed 101 Forums

mcat cuts

Guest steak

Guest steak

Hey All,

Congrats to all who are starting in September.

Quick question for the admins. Got my April MCAT scores yesterday and was sort-of pleasantly surprised w/ BS=10 (thought I bombed it) and VR=12 (about what I expected). A little disappointed, but ok with PS=10, and horrified with WS=M. :eek

So, I'm assuming that the WS cut-off is as firm as the other sections as far as Western is concerned. I'm going to have the section remarked, but am pretty certain that it won't go from M to Q.

Any suggestions other than rewriting in August?

Thanks,

Steak

PS - how's this for a pickle - I've got all the GPA/MCAT hurdles out of the way, except:

- don't have the WS score for Western

- don't have the GPA for Queen's (3.60 - need 3.62)

- don't have the GPA for Calgary (3.4992 - need 3.50)

- don't have the GPA for Mac (2.98 - need 3.0)

you gotta be kidding me!! is this somebody's idea of a cruel joke!?

Guest mydream88

Hey steak!

so, did you check if your gpa cutoff is cool for Western? because your Queen's GPA is 3.6 and the cut-off for Western it's 3.7.

I really hope your WS goes up as you would like it too, the rest of your scores on that MCAT are fantastic. Overall, I dont' beleive that Western is gonna bend for ANY cut off, they are pretty strict about it. Perhaps you should look into re-writing your MCAT just in case they don't bump your WS score from the April Test. Since the material is fresh in your head, it may be a breeze :D

good luck steak,

mydream88;)

remember: the cutoffs are not static, they change year to year, so this year's cutoffs may not be the same as next year's...something to keep in mind :)

Guest steak

Hey mydream,

Thanks for the feedback. The diff in GPAs comes from western looking at your 10 best courses during the Sep-Apr span, and Queen's including all of them (I did 23 over two "years").

I'm more or less resigned to the fact that while my WS score may change, it is pretty unlikely to change by 4 points (that would more than slightly undermine the reliability of the scoring process!) Similarly, I'm pretty sure they won't lower the cutoff by 4 points either! (Even +2 for me and -2 for the cutoff would be quite the stroke of divine intervention)

So, unfortunately, it looks like the 32 is probably all for not.. :\

I'm also assuming that UWO wants all cut-offs met in a single MCAT administration?

Thanks all,

Steak

Guest mydream88

Steak, I think taht you are correct on that one. uwo will assess your most recent MCAT score, and only that score, in order to determine your standing for making the cut-off.

best of luck :)

mydream88

Guest aneliz

Mydream is correct... UWO will look at your most recent MCAT scores only...and yes, you must meet ALL of the cuts in a single test attempt. (you can't use your 10 in VR from test attempt #1, your 12 in BS from test attempt #2 and your S and 13 in PS from test attempt #3)

Western's cuts are not static...however, I don't think that the writing cut will go to an M anytime soon. It has been AT LEAST a P for as long as I can remember and has been a Q for the past two years. And yes, the WS cut is as important as any other cut.

If you have your heart set on UWO, I would rewrite. As you said, it is highly unlikely that your WS score will jump from an M to a Q with remarking....and anything less than a P is dangerous ground for UWO cut-offs.

As for the GPA cut at UWO, you need somewhere around a 3.70 in one full time (5.0 credit) year to be considered for an interview...and you will need to have a second full time year from the same degree program that is above the cut (whatever that may be next year) to receive an offer of admission.

Good luck!

Archived