Premed 101 Forums

How many waitlisted/rejected?

Guest md23

Guest PaniDoktor

I really want to know the answer, too. When I called Darla and she told me that I've been waitlisted, I specifically asked: "so I guess then everyone who doesn't get an initial acceptance is put on the waitlist?". She said "no". I then rephrased my question and directly asked if there is a rejection pile, and she said yes. Still, I want to know how big that pile is. It could be like 5 people who either cried at the interview or didn't show up, and were deemed inadmissible.

Aneliz, Timmy, PLEASE enlighten us with some #'s . Many thanks!!!

Guest aneliz

Sorry...we can't get the numbers any easier than you can... There are some things that the admissions office is just not going to release - and the number of post-interview rejections is one of them (along with average GPA of entering class, average MCAT scores and your rank on the waiting list). I have no idea how many people might have been rejected...or why it happened...could be many things (they were given 'unsatisfactory' rating by interviewers, no way to meet 'conditional' requirements (ie out of school and missing pre-reqs), found out to be axe-murderer, non-Candian citizen or permanent resident, etc) Given the relative scarcity of rejected people that I hear about, I am led to believe that there are not many...but I have no way to be sure.

What I can tell you is that there are typically 230ish offers made to fill the class...so the top ~100 people on the waitlist (assuming they STAY on the waitlist and don't accept other schools first...some of the higher ranked people may drop off the list before getting a UWO offer) get offers before Sept. As for how many rejections there are, that is something that only Darla knows...it is not even shared with the admissions committee when we get all of the stats on the last application cycle each Sept. So unless you can think of a way to get Darla to divulge deep admissions secrets to a 2nd year student so that it can be posted on a national message board read by 1000's of people each day...I doubt that Tmax or I will be able to help you. It will have to remain one of the great mysteries of UWO meds...

Guest PaniDoktor

Thank you Aneliz! It's comforting to know that I'll never know :)

Just one more little question: do you have a ballpark figure for how many people usually make it off the waitlist BEFORE July 2nd? Thanks again!

Guest aneliz

Again...can't give you a number.

People may come of the waitlist for a variety of reasons:

1. Outright accept another school and elect to not stay on the UWO waitlist from the beginning

2. Waitlisted at several schools and receive an offer from a different school first and then come off UWO's waitlist.

3. Offered acceptance off waitlist but decline for whatever reason...(ie keep provisional acceptance at a different school)

4. Offered acceptance off waitlist and accept.

5. Provisional acceptance at another school goes firm and they come off the UWO waitlist.

I do know that MOST of the waitlist movement is earlier in the summer..there is major movement ~June 14 (the 'second wave') and again right before July 2... Usually the list is quieter after July 2nd...but you may 'move up' a bunch of places as the people with provisional acceptances at other schools come off the list.

Guest PaniDoktor

Thanks again for all your help Aneliz. You've eased so much of my anxiety. It's very kind of you to dedicate so much attention to us applicants. I hope to meet you in September to thank you in person. For now, I'll provisionally accept UofT and telepathically try to accelerate the UWO waitlist while basking in the sun in Greece :hat

Guest mydream88

Hi all,

i just wanted to inform you that I will be removing myself off the waitlist (when the opportunity permits, i.e. when I actually receive my letter from UWO) in favor of attending U of T (I was accepted).

I hope this brings some comfort to fellow waitlisters. Gooood luck, may your wait be very very short.

sincerely,

mydream88:)

Guest UWOMED2005

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if jerks decided not to come here. . .

btw - It's really hard to compare and contrast schools when you're only attending the one.

Guest mydream88

Hey UWOMED2005 and ALL THE WICKED UWO FOLK,

Thank you all though for being so friendly and nice (right back at you :) ) and helpful (cheers aneliz) and funny too (UWOMED2005).

mydream88:)

p.s

TimmyMax and therealcrackers: thanks for the yay vote :o but unfortunately I did not receive an acceptance from UWO. If I had, then the decision would have been a lot tougher:\ .

Guest RageoftheDragon

Thanks for keeping us up to date mydream, and congrats on UofT. That's no small accomplishment.

RotD

Guest mydream88

RageoftheDragon,

I hope so much for you that the waitlist moves very swiftly!

Judging by the numbers last year off the waitlist from UWO, one is not in a bad position to be on the waitlist AT ALL8o .

It IS certainly an accomplishment 8o ,

I wish you the best of luck,

mydream88

Guest UWOMED2005

An important thing to consider: as far as I know, UWO does not send out any "extra" acceptances. I believe only 133 acceptances were sent out for the 133 spots. BTW - this was not the policy in the past. . . in the past (sometime prior to 2001) it was possible the waitlist would not move much at all as many people would have to decline admissions before the waitlist moved at all.

But I will repeat, that is (as far as I know) NOT the situation at UWO. As far as I know, for every person who declines acceptance to UWO, someone gets in off the waitlist.

You're actually in a decent position. Example:

My year, we had 118 students.

By September 1st, 189 invites had to be sent out to fill those 118 spots. Therefore the waitlist moved at least (see below) 71 spots.

There were only about 380 people interviewed.

What do I mean by at least? I don't think those 189 invites include people automatically taken off the UWO waitlist because they had accepted somewhere else. So, if in my year UWO waitlistees #15, #34, #42, #54, #63 and #71 were accepted (and decided to go) to other OMSAS schools, I'm pretty sure they'd automatically be pulled off the UWO waitlist. This means that the waitlist, which officially moved 71 spots, actually moved 77 spots. In fact, I'd guess well more than 6 waitlistees were pulled off the list my year. . . my guess is the waitlist moved A LOT. More than most people even realize.

Not bad odds. Not bad odds at all.

The only thing that sucks is not knowing whether you're in or not until you hear (and the process can last until August) so you can't make plans for the fall. And unfortunately, I can't help you there.

Guest Apna

You're absolutely right, UWOMED2005... I realize that being on the waitlist is a good thing and I may very well get in... but finding out in July or August that I'll be moving cross-country in August is NOT fun. Obviously, the inconvenience is a worthwhile one... but still, first-round acceptance would have been so much smoother :\

Guest RageoftheDragon

Excellent delineation of the numerical logic 2k5. I have not given up yet. However, I am wondering: why does this list move on the 14th and again on July 2nd?

RotD

Guest therealcrackers

People have a couple of weeks to confirm their initial acceptances. So, if there are a number of lucky people with multiple acceptances at Ontario schools, they can only accept one. Thus, they decline the others, and those waiting lists move about the 14th of June.

If there are say, 50 people with multiple acceptances at three schools, 20 go to Western, 20 to U of T, and 10 to Mac, then 30 people with initial acceptances to Western aren't coming. 2nd round of offers go out, to the first 30 people on the waitlist IN THIS EXAMPLE.

July 2nd is the day people who have a firm acceptance but are waiting on a conditional acceptance somewhere else have to make a decision. If there are 40 people with firm acceptances at Western waiting to hear from other schools as an example; 15 don't get in their other school, and accept Western, 25 get in somewhere else and accept there. After July 2nd, there's 25 additional spots on the waiting list. 3rd round offers go out, to the next 25 people on the waitlist IN THIS EXAMPLE.

However, not everyone who is on the waiting list is just waiting on Western, so the list can move pretty far. The above is my post-call attempt to explain why things move so much on those two days...

Guest RageoftheDragon

According to Crackers post, I'd say just after June 14th for the first one, dependant on where you are in the country vs. how fast the mail can(not) travel. As for the second round, I'd imagine the week following July 2nd.

RotD

Guest aneliz

There should be a significant number of acceptances off the waitlist ~June 14...probably (and this is just a guess people!) somewhere around 30-40 at least. After that, there will be some movement again about two weeks later (less) and then again around July 2. After that, it will probably be more scattered seats than large amounts of movement.

Good luck!

Guest summerbeach

HI there,

If we get an acceptance from the waitlist, is it automatically firm or can we also have a conditional acceptance until the July 2nd deadline. I'm on the waitlist at 3 schools, and Western is my first choice, so I was just wondering how it worked. Of course I will be happy getting accepted anywhere!

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there summerbeach,

Congratulations on your three waitlist spots! Which schools are you awaiting word from? :D

Regarding your question, as far as I've been told, if you are pulled from an Ontario waitlist prior to July 2nd, then your acceptance can still be provisional. It's only after July 2nd that it becomes firm.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest summerbeach

Hey Kirsteen,

Thanks for the reply...I'm waiting on Western Ottawa & UofT, (the 3 schools I interviewed at), so I guess it's wait and see!:\ Good luck to you!

Archived