Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance and Deposit

Guest DrTK

Guest DrTK

Hi Everyone!

I have been accepted at Western and am provisionally accepting their offer until I hear from Queens (waitlist) at which point I will make my final decision. If someone is provisionally accepting, do they still have to send their $1000 deposit in with the forms we send to Western? Or do we wait until July 2nd, when provisional acceptances becomes firm? I emailed admissions and haven't heard back so I wanted to see if anyone else knew the answer. Thanks!!

DrTK

Guest aneliz

Sorry...not sure about the answer to that one... last year was the first year that there was a deposit required (my class didn't have one.)

Guest chiapet921

hi there!~

hrmm...it was my impression that you have to send $1000 to any one med school to accept any type of offer...so I think you have to send $1000 to keep your spot while you're still waiting to hear from others...and if you decide to choose another school, its ANOTHER $1000...I think...I could be wrong, but if the point of starting this deposit thingy was to deter ppl from keeping multiple spots, what I said above *may* sound reasonable?

Guest CornuAmmonis

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that the deposit is only once the acceptance becomes firm.

So even if you provisionally accept, you will only need to pay if, by July 2nd, that becomes a firm acceptance

Hey DrTK

I also emailed admissions with the same question and still haven't heard. Please let me know if you do get an answer.

Thanks

Guest TimmyMax

Hey

The $1000 deposit thing is a total deterrant to keep people from holding multiple firm acceptances. Since the way that medical school admissions works is that your last firmly accepted offer is the one that counts, in the past, rather than giving up an acceptance to remain on the waitlist for another school, people had been having their provisional acceptances become firm and then jumping ship if they got an offer from the school that they were waiting for later on in the summer. I think that this was more of a problem with people firmly accepting OMSAS schools and then jumping at the chance to a school in another province- not sure how good the communication is between OMSAS schools and non-OMSAS schools. Anyway, the effect was that it screwed up the first school, who now had lost someone from their class and had to fill that spot and screwed the waitlist people, who probably would have firmly accepted an offer at an alternate school if the original school was the one that they wanted to go to in the first place. I guess that you can still do this if you really want to, but it'll cost you $1000. Hopefully the communication btw the medical schools has improved to prevent this from happening.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest DrTK

Hi Glo and everyone else who is wondering about the deposit situation!

I called the admissions office this morning to double check and they DO NOT need our $1000 right now...but they DO need it by JULY 2nd, when our provisional offers become firm. So you don't need to shell out $1000 yet. If you haven't heard from the school you're waiting for by the end of June, in order to still hold your spot at Western you MUST pay them the $1000 by July 2nd.

Hope this helps!!

DrTK

Archived