Premed 101 Forums

OSAP for Ontario students studying medicine out-of-province?

Guest Scholastica

Guest Scholastica

Hello,

I'm an Ontario resident, planning to study medicine at the University of Alberta. I'm wondering if I can still apply for OSAP even though I will be a med student in Alberta, not Ontario. I wasn't able to find the information I need on the OSAP website, so I'm wondering if anyone knows more about this. :)

Thanks! :D

Guest Ollie

Hey,

I'm fairly certain that you always get your student loan from your "home" province. I'm a BC resident at an Ontario school and I get my loans from BC even though I don't have a permanent address there anymore. The stipulation for changing provinces (at least in BC) is that you must have lived on your new province for greater than 12 months without being a full time student.

Guest aneliz

Yes, you would still qualify for OSAP. You would not qualify for Alberta student loans, so you should apply to OSAP as soon as possible. It is not a problem that you are attenting an out of province school.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There are a few folk in my class who come from Ontario and who have received OSAP each year. You simply apply on-line and one of the only differences noted is that your "signature" form needs to be sent to Thunder Bay as opposed to an Ontario university.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived