Premed 101 Forums

HBA at Western

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Is HBA undergrad program at western

professional program(like engineering) or

will it be a good preparation(Like other undergrads science, arts) before going into medical school?

If anyone knows please give me information.

Will I be able to get prerequisites if I'm an AEO

student?

Thanks

Guest aneliz

I don't know much about the program...but keep in mind that admissions criteria are changing at UWO (effective for the fall of 2006). So, if you are still in high school now, by the time you get to applying, you will be required to have a 4 year honours degree to apply to UWO. You will not be required to have any specific pre-req courses. So, this program would be acceptable to UWO for med admissions. I don't know how hard/easy it would be to fit the pre-reqs for other med schools into that program...every school is different in what they require. You may have to take some pre-reqs in the summer or evening to get them all done.

good luck!

Guest thesaug

Hi there...I think I can give u some info on the HBA program as many of my friends were in it.

For your first two years in undergrad, you can do whatever you like, provided you maintain an 80% average. That is, you can do two years of science, two of health sci, two of engineering, two of arts...watever. Within those two years, you should be able to fulfill most if not all pre-req requirements for medschool. Its in third year that the HBA program starts, at which time you will be only taking biz courses (as far as i know). Being AEO or not has no bearing on the courses and program you are enrolled in for your first two years. AEO is just a gauranteed acceptance to Ivey, saving you the headache of applying in your second year of university.

Whether or not the HBA program is considered a professional one on the same lines as Engineering I am not sure. Keep in mind though that during third and fourth year when you are in the HBA program, marking is very subjective. So I am not sure whether the marks that are needed to get into medschool are given out in this program or not. Thats another thing that you should find out.

Hope this helps you out!

thesaug

Guest archchivalry

Thanks guys for the replies.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I need

to take as compulsory as an AEO student.

(I may do science for first and second year)

Do I need to take certain course to be

enrolled to IVEY?

Guest thesaug

Hi,

Yes...you have to take Business 020. You also have to have some participation in extra-curricular activities.

thesaug

Archived