Premed 101 Forums

GPA cutoff

Guest steak

Guest steak

hey all,

anyone have any thoughts on the GPA cut for the next round of applications (oct/2004)? I realize this is at best educated speculation, but here's hoping it doesn't move much beyond 3.70.

does anyone know how it's progressed recently? if I'm not mistaken, it's been 3.7 for 2 years, and 3.65 before that...

the way it's looking now, my best two years are giving me 3.73 - cutting it kind of close.. :\

cheers,

steak

Guest aneliz

Hey steak...

There is absolutely NO WAY to predict next year's cut at this point...

The way the cut off is determined is to take all of the applicants, enter all of their best year GPA's and MCAT scores into the computer and then run various different permutations and combinations of scores to get various different scenarios that ~430ish people would meet. The different scenarios are then presented to the admissions committee...a vote happens, and the cuts are posted. Cuts are posted on the web within one hour of being decided. All of this takes place after applications are submitted for the year....and as you can see, it is very, very difficult to even speculate about how many people are going to apply next year and what the 'general quality' of GPA's and MCAT scores of those people will be.

That said...I don't think (and this is pure speculation) that there is likely to be a big change in the number of applicants or the quality of their GPA's or MCAT scores....so, I wouldn't think that things should be substantially different from what they are now.

Here is what has happened over the past several years:

Class of 2005

GPA 3.60

MCAT - no scores lower than 9 or P but VR+WS = or >21 and BS + PS = or >19 (*the combined scores will NEVER happen again...nightmare in admissions office!!!!)

Class of 2006

GPA 3.65

MCAT 9,9,9,P

Class of 2007

GPA 3.70

MCAT 9,9,9,Q

Class of 2008 (current applicants)

GPA 3.70

MCAT 9,10,9,Q

Good luck!

Guest steak

hey aneliz,

thanks for the feedback - a few tidbits i wasn't aware of. like i said, just hypothesizing to relieve stress while i wait for final marks to come in..

it'll be interesting to see if the schulich scholarships make any difference in the # of applications, # of first acceptances (ie: # that don't get off the waitlist), or other acceptance stats.. certainly sounds like an inviting prospect (even if you don't know before you accept, it'd seem likely to swing some fence-sitters to the uwo camp)..

oh well, guess there's not much to do but sit and twiddle my thumbs now! :)

cheers,

steak

Archived