Premed 101 Forums

Problems with prerequisites

Guest ESC

I contacted Darla about a prerequisite check and it looks like I may have to redo a few courses. Apparently BIO250 from UT is not an acceptable biology prerequisite.

I'm wondering if there exists a list of acceptable schools and courses that Western considers. Summer registration deadlines are fast approaching (and in many cases passed) and I need to know where to enroll and what courses to take. I've been trying, to no avail, to get in touch with the admissions office and Darla won't be back until the 28th.

Thanks in advance.

Guest malsa

Hey ESC,

Do you what the problem with BIO250 is? It is a full year Bio course. It also has a lab. Have you taken BIO150 ( prereq for BIO250) and do you know if that counts?

Malsa

Guest aneliz

I have no idea what is wrong with the course that you took...

In general, it must be a full year biology course with an accompanying lab. It must also be 'university level' meaning that it has, at an absolute minimum, the equivalent OAC or 4U course as a pre-req and is aimed at science students. It cannot be a 'bio for arts students' or high school equivalent course. I did BIO 1030 and BIO 1040 at UofG.

UWO does not maintain a complete list of courses and schools that are acceptable (that I am aware of)...because the list would be outdated before it could even be made available...schools are constantly changing course codes, etc.

Guest Steve U of T

That is really odd.

BIO250 is a full credit equivalent molecular and cell biology course for science students at the 2nd year level, with a full lab component. I certainly know people who got into UWO meds with BIO150 and BIO250 as their only bio courses that included a lab, so they must consider BIO150 as appropriate, although BIO250 is certainly more useful, and relevant to medicine.

I'm not sure what the exact problem is as I haven't been able to get in touch with Darla to discuss the situation.

The initial reply just stated that BIO250 was not acceptable, but BIO150 is acceptable. I'm not a science student, so I never took BIO150 or the equivalent (I'm actually not a UT student either, just did courses there last summer) so I requested an override to take BIO250 as I thought it'd be more useful as preparation for med.

BIO250 is a full year biology credit with lab, I'm speculating that the problem is there isn't an equivalent course at UWO, the closest course is 282b which is only a 0.5 credit w/o lab.

Guest Elaine I

I had a question a while back about a calculus course I took at U of Waterloo back in 1995. Originally, I was told that the course was not acceptable (as a non-bio or non-chem science course). Because I was confused, I sent Darla the course description from the 1995 course calendar. She then told me that the course would be approved. Previously, it was just not on her list of "acceptable courses". She also said that she would add the course, so it wouldn't be a problem when I applied. Therefore, it may be worth asking the question again, and including the course description.

Just a thought,

Elaine

Guest aneliz

It is always worth sending a course description along with the school name and the course code. As I mentioned earlier, course codes are constantly changing and it is hard for admin to keep up with every possible course that could be used from every Canadian school.... Sending a course description will help clarify the situation.

Darla is away right now at a conference...I believe that she will be back early next week.

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't forget people at other schools might have no idea what BIO250 is! We don't all study the U of T calendar for a living. :)

I could tell you I took BIOC 4404.03A @ Dalhousie, but would you have any clue what that means? For all you know, that's a 4th year history of biochemistry course with no lab.

I ran into a similar situation applying to UWO meds myself. I took a really funky program/course at King's* (FYP1100.18 if you want the course code ;) which was worth 3 full year an equivalent of first year english, philosophy and and history by Dalhousie. Rather obviously, nobody at UWO meds credits (ie 6 half credits, or 18 credits at some schools - schools often vary on how they award credits!) It counts asadmission had heard of it at all and thought it was 3 science credits - meaning I would have missed the non-science prereq.

A polite phone call, letter and clipping of the course description in the King's Calendar from the registrar's office @ King's cleared everything up nicely.

*I went to the University of King's College, which is affiliated with Dalhousie, and took courses at both schools.

Guest therealcrackers

BIO250 should be an equivalent course --- take down the lab manual and phone Anne Cordon to see if you can get a hold of the official course description. BIO250 is the logical successor to BIO150 (minus the stats, thanks), and should meet the prerequisites. I taught those labs and marked enough of those essays to believe that completely. (I was a TA in it for 3 years.)

But get the course description and double check.

Archived