Premed 101 Forums

3rd Year Transfer

Guest uptownyeung

Guest uptownyeung

Hi...I was just wondering if any of you current med students at Western can tell me how many did manage to transfer in last year or the year before? thanks.

Guest aneliz

I assume that you are referring to transferring from another Canadian medical school.

Western will accept transfers...in principal...however, there are a few things that you need to do:

You must prove to the admissions committee that there is a valid reason to transfer schools and, once they approve your application, there must also be a 'spot' vacant in the class that you are hoping to transfer into.

I don't think that there have been more than 1 or maybe 2 people successfully transfer into UWO in the past two years...

Overall, while transfers are possible, they are not easy...

Guest uptownyeung

What are the requirements beside valid reasons. and what about the procedure..and notification timeline? thanks so much for the info!

do they also accept transfers from US medical schools?

Guest aneliz

Not as far as I am aware...although you would have to check with the school to be sure...as for specific requirements, procedures, etc I have no idea. You will need to contact the office....although I imagine that the sooner you do it, the better off you will be.

From the faculty website:

TRANSFER STUDENTS

Transfer consideration is restricted to Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada currently enroled in Canadian medical schools. Applicants considering transfer must contact the office of Admissions/Student & Equity Affairs.

Guest therealcrackers

The timing has to be quite precise for a transfer. There was one student who transferred from U of O at the beginning of 3rd year in order to do her clerkship in Windsor; that's the latest time it could be done, because of the variability of the clerkship schedules between medical schools.

It might be possible earlier, but as Aneliz said, talk to the student affairs departments at the schools concerned to find out their requirements and eligibilities.

Additionally, there has to be a spot available at the school you are transferring to. One of my classmates took a leave of absence, and thus there was a spot available; if there's no spot, there's no transfer.

Guest uptownyeung

thanks guys!

but do you happen to know if an interview would be required? i suppose they wont know about available spots til at the very last minutes..

what about an official MCAT scores report?

Guest Ian Wong

Call the office. Nothing we say here will change the fact that you'd need to talk with them (and probably quite extensively), in order to make something of this magnitude happen.

Ian

Archived