Premed 101 Forums

Med student clubs at UWO - Martial Arts

Guest Steve U of T

Guest Steve U of T

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here since my interview isn't for another month or so, and I'm not even sure if I'll have a choice as to where I go, but the availability of good extracurricular activities is important in my choice of medical school. Specifically, I would like to know about the martial arts club I found referenced on the UWO meds website. There is very little information there, and the impression I get is that it's an informal kind of thing with experienced students teaching the novices with little structure. Can somebody please elaborate?

Karate is a fairly significant part of my life, and I would like to find a good place to train if I end up leaving Toronto. Is there anyone in the martial arts club with a senior level black belt in Shotokan Karate? As a black belt myself (1st dan only), I have the skills to be self-analytical, and I'd be capable of training on my own, but it would be nice if there were somebody more advanced so I have someone to look up to.

Also, out of curiousity, I'd like to hear from other people who are involved in martial arts, and their plans if they go to med school away from their dojo. Do you plan to find a new club, or train on your own? (I suppose stopping training may be another option for some people)

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448720</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>scholarships</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>biomedeng</username>

<dateline>1077654360</dateline>

<title>scholarships</title>

<pagetext>In the interview package I received from Western I read about the new $20,000 X 4 scholarships that are being offered. First of all, this is incredible, Western is the only school that I heard about that helps med students finance their education, let alone provide them with such a large source for 4 years.

Does anybody know what this scholarship is based on? Is it only financial need? All western has from the applicants are GPA and MCAT. Is it based on these metrics? Does the interview play any role at all?

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Med student clubs at UWO - Martial Arts</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>UWO's Medical Sciences Program</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>terminalprep</username>

<dateline>1077829560</dateline>

<title>UWO's Medical Sciences Program</title>

<pagetext>Does anyone know anything about UWO's Medical Sciences program? It's fairly new (last 3 years) and sounds great-- I'm hoping for some feedback from anyone who may have enrolled. This is the blurb on their website:

"Students who are registered in the Biological and Medical Sciences Program in first year acquire a strong science background. After first year, students are able to proceed into either a biological or medical sciences degree program. The Departments of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Medical Biophysics, Microbiology & Immunology, Pathology and Physiology & Pharmacology offer the medical sciences courses. The large number of common required courses (plus optional courses) in years 1 and 2 of both programs will allow students to move easily between Biological or Medical Sciences programs.

This program is offered jointly by the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and offers four 4-year BMSc Degrees:

BMSc Medical Sciences

BMSc (Honors) Medical Sciences

Concurrent (Honors) BMSc/Honors Business Administration

BMSc (Honors) in one of the following disciplines: Biochemistry; Medical Biophysics; Microbiology and Immunology; Pharmacology and Toxicology; and Physiology."

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>scholarships</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived