Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculations

Guest roboboy69

Guest roboboy69

I know that UWO only looks at two undergrad years for GPA determination:

1. Best Full (30 credit hours, or equivalent) Year

2. Any other year where 30 credit hours have been taken

My question is, what if you only have one of the years that meets or exceeds the min. GPA cutoff and not the other by a slight margin? Will Western reject my file outright? My undergrad studies included a CO-OP program so all my semesters are bungled up (alternating between work and study, so not all my courses run from September to April; I've had to study full-time in the summer as well by virtue of being in the CO-OP program).

It is not easy for me to go back to school and complete the "special year" as indicated in the UWO website. Especially since I graduated from engineering, how am I supposed to go back to school and take 5 full courses (3 of which have to be senior level) in my area of study?

Any thoughts?

Short answer is that you MUST have two full time years that are both independently greater than the minimum. If the cut is 3.65 and you have a 3.6422224, that unfortunately doesn't make the cut.

As for the special year, you can take courses from any discipline, as long as they meet the senior level requirements and you have not started a new degree. (You are registered as a continuing student).

I would recommend that you call the admissions office to get details of how your co-op program will affect the determination of 'years'...that is the best way to figure out these often complex situations. But, being a co-op student won't be held against you!

Good luck!

Guest roboboy69

Aneliz,

Thanks for the clarification. My situation is indeed a bit precarious. One of my undergrad year GPAs is 3.8+ (4th year) while the other is 3.63 (2nd year). (NOTE: I also have a GPA of 3.8 in my third year, but since I was in the CO-OP program that year, my courses were split between September-December & May - August, so that year will not be counted).

The only thing I'm concerned about is that if the cutoff is >3.63 for a given year, I won't be considered for admission. But on the other hand, since I've been out of school for over 2 years, and don't think I can return as a 'continuing' student in my degree program, I guess my chances at UWO are shot.

Anyhow, I have written to UWO admissions and am awaiting to hear what they have to say.

Thanks again.

Guest UWOMED2005

They will say what they will say, and myself being a med student and not the admissions committee, am nowhere near an official source for information. But I do think what they will say will echo what both you and Aneliz have discussed - you are in a precarious situation, and for this year require the minimum to be less than 3.63. It was less than that for the 2005 class (GPA < 3.60.) No promises for this year, though.

Your best hope hope lies in the mins being less than 3.63 (they're usually posted on the UWO site in late jan to early feb) but barring that, UWO has traditionally accepted a '5th year' for GPA purposes. . . get 3.8 in THAT year (even 3.7 or 3.75) and I would be rather SHOCKED if you weren't offered an interview. . . than again, I am just a lowly med student and my opinion is by no means official.

On the other hand, it sounds like your GPA meets the mins for Queen's. . . hope, you applied there this year as well, of course as well hoping the mins at UWO favour you as well!

Guest cptn med

You guys have great info. Maybe you can help me out a bit with the particulars as well.

Last year my GPA ran slightly under the competitive margin at UWO and so I had to go back to do more coursework in order to bring it up a bit. My question is this: I am now taking first year courses, but should have them all completed by the end of this year (many sciences you see). At what point will my criteria be acceptable? In other words, if I have 2 out of 3 years that are above level 2, but they are not two years in a row, can I apply? Or do they have to be two years in a row of 200-400 level?

Thanks

You can use any years from the same degree program for GPA purposes as long as they are full time years and they don't contain any repeated courses. You can use your 1st and 2nd year, 1st and 4th year, 2nd and 3rd year, etc. Once you have two years (any two years) that are above the cut - and they must BOTH be above the cut - it doesn't matter what you have in your other years.

However, if you are taking 'special years' after the completion of your degree to bring up your GPA, you need to be aware of the following 'rules'.

1. You can only do ONE special year...they will not count further special years for GPA purposes.

2. Your 'special year' must include at least 4.0 credits at the 3rd year level or higher. A 'special year' with 1st and 2nd year level credits does not count as a 'special year' for GPA.

Does this help?

Guest cptn med

Yeah that makes a lot of sense and is very helpful. One more quick question though...

I am writing off my HBCom (for Western's purposes) and am completing a new degree. However, because I have a previous degree, the time it will take me to complete this one is 2 years (this and next). Assuming that I average above the cut on both years (this and next), this being year one and next year being level 200-400/final year, can I apply? Or, does it have to be a degree that takes 3/4 years?

Does this Q make sense?

Thanks.

Guest Elaine I

Cptn Med,

Western will look at two years for the *same* degree. Therefore, you could use the two years from your new degree, but not a combination of years from two different degrees. It doesn't matter how long you take to do your degree, provided it contains at least two years of full time studies.

You will be allowed to use 2003-04 and 2004-05 to apply for September 2005, since Western only requires you to have one year done at the time of application.

Best wishes,

Elaine

Archived