Premed 101 Forums

Western GPA Calculation - 300 and 400 level courses

Guest BBlues

Guest BBlues

I was looking at the Western med school requirements yesterday and noticed that the two years in which your gpa is generated requires that you have courses at that level (i.e. you need at least 3 -300 level courses if you are in 3rd year). Unfortunately, I will be pursuing a second major next year which would require me to take 3 -200 level courses. And in my fouth year, my sociology major and econonomic minor will not be requiring any 400 level courses. In general, I don't think you can take 400 level courses without prerequesites and it might be a bit late for me to do that right now, if I intend on graduating in four years.

Also, how would Western (or most Ontario med school) look upon a student who started their program in life science with less than stellar marks in the first two years, but with exceptionally good marks in the last two once they've finished their social science programs?

Thanks in advance for your helpl

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

First of all, this question should be moved to the Western forum (Ian?).

Secondly, to answer your question, UWO only counts the BEST TWO years in determining your final GPA score and your BEST SINGLE year in determining whether or not you get invited for an interview (assuming, of course, that you make the MCAT cutoff as well). So long as your last two years are full-time and fit the criteria described on the UWO website, it won't matter that you did $hite in your first two years of whatever program you were taking. So go ahead and apply! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived