Premed 101 Forums

OOP Applicants??

Guest wannabedoc

Guest wannabedoc

Hello to all.

I am from out west and received an interview invite. On their website, UWO says that they favour Ontario residents to some extent (but they weren't too specific about it...) Does being an oop applicant still decrease my chances now that I have made it to the interview stage?

Thanks....

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Since London is THE centre for southwestern Ontario, naturally UWO does have a slight favoritism for applicants from SW Ontario. The hope is that should UWO accept these people, these people will in turn remain in SW Ontario to set up their practice. Of course, this advantage isn't all that significant or else all of UWO's students would be from SW Ontario, which they clearly are not.

At this point, there is no obvious disadvantage to being OOP. Your chances are just as good as everyone else's now that you are at the interview stage. The interview is what is going to make or break you, seeing as how it is weighted the most, and if you make a good enough impression, it won't make a difference if you're from Victoria, St. John's, Nunavut, or Waterloo. The interview is the main thing now, so you essentially control your own destiny. Take care of that aspect and we'll be seeing you for O-Week come August!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest wannabedoc

Thanks Timmy. Sounds good to me.

When I interviewed at U of A, it was pretty clear that being out of province was still a disadvantage. I'm glad it's not like that accross the board :)

Guest lcloh

Timmy - it's funny you should say that. I know the rationale for giving longtime SWO residents preference was to hopefully encourage them to stay in the region.. but funnily enough, after 16 years in London, I'm definitely not sticking around once residency swings around. :)

:)

Guest wannabedoc

IcIoh,

It's funny you should say that.... the more I talk to people, the more it seems that the likelihood of a student staying in a particular region has nothing to do with what province they are from. It seems to have more to do with the actual individual, their tastes, and where they want to live (which is not necessarily where they were born).

Sometimes I wonder if the med schools are starting to catch on to this.....:rolleyes

Guest lcloh

Timmy: they did ask me where I saw myself in 10 years. I said I could potentially see myself in London (the bait - but truth is there is still a possibility that I may stay here, etc.) but I also mentioned having lived 4 years in Malaysia I was attached to big cities, in particular Toronto, Montréal, and Kuala Lumpur.

Wannabedoc: While I agree it's partly the personality (i'm a fast-paced, big city kinda person), I think for some other people they do stay in the province/city of birth simply because it's familiar... human nature tends to go with what they are certain of and what they know works, and some people just refuse to be bothered with having to move around.

It's kind of like how I refuse to change my bank, even though Royal Bank is crapass for service... simply because of all the hassle involved in moving banks, opening new accounts... I already have everything with Royal (Line of Credit, accounts, RRSPs, investments, Visa, etc.) and there's always the uncertainty that the next company may be just as crapass as Royal...

much like moving cities.

Alright. I should go. I have a neurosurg elective at Westmin campus.

L.

Edited to include bank analogy.

Archived