Premed 101 Forums

Sample interview questions

Guest DHP62

Hey UWO moderators!

I think I remember seeing a list of sample interview questions on the UWO Meds 2005 class website sometime last year. However, seeing as they're not the 1st year class anymore, they've understandably removed some of their admissions stuff. Do any one you moderators still have your hands on that list? If you do, would you be able to email a copy of it to me at DHP62@hotmail.com If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then disregard everything I just said because its very likely my mind is crashing on me...too many midterms!! :eek :P

Thanks!

Keep in mind while most of this stuff is still relevant, this material was put up by the class of 2001...they were first year students five years ago....so not all of their info is 100% correct. Some is outdated. In fact, the webmaster of this site has been asked by UWO administration to take down the admissions content on this site because it is so old. A better bet is the prospective students site linked at the top of this forum...it is current and we are adding content to it as quickly as possible. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DrSahsi

The FAQ was originally written by myself in 1998, and was updated annually each year I was still a student at UWO. Last year is the only year it wasn't updated, mainly because I was trapped on Paeds/ICU at the time and didn't get a chance to hand it over to the first year class at that time.

Now that the FAQ has been officially handed over, hopefully you guys will be able to get it up on UWOMeds.com. I'm happy the FAQ will have a permanent home which isn't our Meds2001 website, and that you've worked out a system for having it passed on and updated year-to-year. For people looking for up-to-date information on the Admissions and Interview process at UWO, check out that site! It's great!

- Rupinder

P.S. I've never been asked by the administration to take down the material because it's "so old." Jim Silcox and I still exchange E-mail. I don't know your source for that fact.

Guest therealcrackers

The reasons for the "request for removal" as it were, are that the cutoffs and general admissions criteria have changed, so that things may not be reflective of the current standard. In a hypervigilant era, people want the most up to date information instanter. Ok, that's fine. The CONTENT in that FAQ was and IS superb, and was a great help to me for my interview a couple of years ago. I'm sure it will continue to be a valuable resource as long as Western retains its current interview format.

Cheers,

crackers aka UWO Meds 2 moderator

Guest aneliz

Sorry Rupinder, I got my information from Darla about the meds 2001 website and assumed that it was correct. It is not necessarily because it is "so old" but because of a new policy passed by the student affairs committee with respect to admissions information on student run websites. Basically, it has been decided that all student generated admissions information will be housed on the prospective student area of uwomeds.com and will be updated and maintained by the current first year class. They have also decreed that any admissions information that is currently on more senior meds classes' websites should be removed and that linking to this information from uwomeds.com will not be allowed. They are concerned that if each meds class maintains admissions info on their own website, it may not be updated or accurate - especially after the class has graduated and it may be very confusing to applicants. I know that this is not necessarily the case with the meds 2001 site. I found your stuff enormously helpful when I was applying and I am sure that many of my classmates did too.

Andrea

Guest Ian Wong

Man,

All's I have to say is small freakin' world. :) Here's a belated thank you to you Dr. S, for compiling stuff that helped ME out when I was applying to med school.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest DrSahsi

Heh. Thank you to all three of you for your positive feedback. Writing and maintaining that FAQ was a lot of work for the four years I did it, but the fact that so many people have found it helpful over the years makes it worthwhile.

That's why I've been so careful about how it's handed to future editors in the subsequent first-year classes at UWO. I was worried the document would end up fragmented and scattered across multiple class websites over the years. Now that UWOMeds.com exists as a permanent, one-stop repository for such information, and with guidelines in place to make sure updates happen in a smooth and timely manner, I agree that any future Interview/Admissions material should go there.

I'm just glad I heard about these new ground rules eventually (would have been nice for the admin to actually *TELL* me when it happened). They're basically the same ground rules *I* wanted to establish before turning over the FAQ. I recall being pretty freaked out when I first saw excerpts of the original FAQ appearing on UWOMeds.com without attribution/credit given. :P

- Rupinder

P.S. Ian - You think it's small now? Just wait until I move to Vancouver. :lol

Guest Lisa88

I was hoping for some insight from current UWO students on what to say for this question...why is it you chose Western? What kinds of unique features of the school would draw med hopefuls to it? Thanks :)

Guest aneliz

I suggest that you check out the uwomeds.com forums...there is quite an extensive discussion there on the pros/cons of UWO meds....

You will also want to take a look at the faculty of med website...familiarize yourself with the curriculum and the UWO philosophy (EFPO anyone?). You will want to have a good idea for yourself why you like Western's curriculum/philosophy/environment and why it is better FOR YOU then another school....

You can also make a point of attending one of our "Medicine at UWO" info sessions before your interview...we will give you loads of reasons why being a med student at Western is great that you can use for your interview.

Basically, this question is asked to see if you even have a clue how things are done at Western....like if you answered "I love the all PBL curriculum" when asked why Western, that wouldn't look very good. But, there is no 'right' answer here...all they are looking for is that you have looked into what your life would be like past getting an acceptance letter...and that you have done some investigation into Western's teaching style, curriculum or student life.

For me, I liked UWO's curriculum structure...particularly the block teaching in first and second year, the full year clerkship, the placement of the clinical electives and the 'transition period'. I also felt that the students at UWO were the most welcoming and spirited and that I could really fit in here. London was also a better option to live in than Toronto for me too...and that is basically 'why Western' for me...but it is different for everybody!

Archived