Premed 101 Forums

Cutoff increase?

Guest Alexa

Guest Alexa

Hi everyone,

Do you guys think that the GPA cutoff could increase next year? I hope it doesn't go over 3.7 or I will have to a fifth year. Has is ever been greater than 3.7? Thanks.

Guest aneliz

We have no idea what the cut-off will be next year...nor is there any way of predicting it. The cut-off is determined by the quality of the applicant pool and is set so that ~420 people meet the MCAT and GPA cuts to get an interview.

The cuts are arbitrary, the only reason there are cuts is to get the applicant pool down to ~420 people to be interviewed. It is impossible to predict what next year's applicant pool will look like - this year we had fewer applicants but the cut was higher...which shows that the overall quality of the applicant pool was higher this year. We have no way of knowing if it will increase or decrease or stay the same next year.

The GPA cuts at UWO have historically ranged between 3.55 and 3.80. Although they haven't been at either extreme in many years...largely due to the use of the MCAT scores as well as GPA to determine interview eligibility. I highly doubt that they will go below 3.60 anytime in the near future and I wouldn't be surprised if they stay at 3.70 or even go up....it is all dependent on the number of applicants and the quality of those applicants...

Sorry that I don't have any better answers...but there really aren't any to be had right now...nobody knows what next year's cuts will look like....and they won't be determined until the last week of January, 2004.

Guest therealcrackers

The cutoff of GPA, when used in combination with MCAT score minimums, has never been above 3.70; in earlier times, GPA was the only cutoff used, and then it was higher. Again, used in combination with MCAT score minimums, the GPA cutoff has never been higher than 3.70 so far. What happens next year depends entirely on the applicant pool for the class of 2008, which will be determined at the end of January, 10 months from now. That's about as concrete as it can get...

Guest aneliz

True....the GPA cut has been as high as 3.80+ in the past...but this was before the MCAT was used by UWO....they introduced the MCAT requirements as an additional weeding tool to try and reduce the GPA requirement. And it worked...cuts dropped back to the 3.55-3.60 level....but they have been slowly creeping up again in the last few years...from 3.60 to 3.65 to 3.70 this year. We have no idea what will happen next year....it is always a delicate balance between increasing the GPA or increasing the MCAT or both to cut down the pool....this year, the decision was to up the GPA and leave the MCAT cuts largely untouched (except for increasing the WS cut). Nobody knows what will happen next year....

Archived