Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite Criteria

Guest Lisa88

I read on the UWO website that meeting their GPA & MCAT minimums is not enough to get an interview. But, considering they don't have anything else to go on but reference letters, will they be scrutinizing those when deciding whom to invite for interviews?

Guest UWOMED2005

No. Myself and many of my classmates think they don't look at those at all - they're only requested by OMSAS for the other schools.

If you have the GPA and MCAT you should get an interview. While meeting the cutoffs doesn't "guarantee" you an interview, but if you do make those cutoffs and don't get an interview, I think it's worth calling the admissions office as it could be a mistake. It happened to a friend of mine who applied last year - he made the cutoffs but didn't get an interview, due to a mistake OMSAS made (this is an unlikely occurrence, btw.) He called UWO and they cleared things up no problem.

But yes, technically it is possible to make the cutoffs and not get interviewed. But it would most likely because of either error or some extraordinary circumstance (ie a notorious pedophile applying.)

Oh yeah - just want to point out Aneliz and Timmymax know more than I on this, and the admissions office is always the final word on such matters.

The admissions office is always the final word....

Basically this disclaimer is exactly that...a disclaimer...it gives the school the ability to deny somebody an interview that met the cut offs....not that I am aware of this ever happening but it gives the school something to fall back on if it ever needed to happen.

Possible examples of when it would happen:

1. The applicant was not a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant...I am pretty sure that we get an application or two from people in this category every year....there is no point in inviting someone from China for an interview if they are not eligible to register in the program due to citizenship regardless of whether they have a 4.0 GPA and 45T MCAT....

2. Somebody that had something really, really, really concerning about their application....ie they are a serial killer....

3. Somebody that doesn't meet a stated requirement...ie going to a recognised school, or having the right number of credits done.....I don't think that somebody that applied during their second year would be interviewed even if their first year GPA was 4.0 based on the fact that they can't possibly complete the required 15 credits before Sept....

Moral of the story: don't worry. If you met the cuts, you should get an invite...if you met the cuts and you get a rejection, call the admissions office to find out why....it could be an administrative error by either OMSAS or UWO....

Archived