Premed 101 Forums

Class Size

Guest JSS02

The FAQ for the 2003 entering class says that the number of positions in 2002 (it could be that this is a typo and they actually meant 2003) is 133. I think the current class size is 118. Just to let everyone know...

Guest Ian Wong

Hey, thanks for the info! Hope those additional seats help everyone here out. Are many people applying to Western? This forum is really quiet compared to the other Ontario med schools...

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Ian,

I've thrown my hat in for Western! It will be quite a departure from leaving the small, comfortable confines of the Laurier Science building to trying to navigate that place, assuming, of course, I get in. Simplicity is good in life; complexity = stress.

Best of luck!

Timmy

I applied to Western too. I think that this forum is probably quieter due to the very formulaic approach that Western has. At this point, its all about the numbers (MCAT and GPA). Western doesn't ask any questions, they don't require any essays and apparently, so I hear, they don't read any reference letters either. If you meet their cut-offs you should get an interview. If you don't meet them then there is no hope for you at Western. I guess we will all find out soon.

Good luck to all!!

Western has a lot of applicants.... about the same as U of T, I think. And yeah, they don't have any essays or anything. Your autobio sketch and reference letters are used as flags, and so matter only if they're noticeably bad!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UWOMED2005

Just to put a Western perspective on the subject:

- Class this year is 118: 59 boys and 59 gals

- Next year, class size is rumoured to increase. . . 133 sounds about right (I can't actually confirm that one)

- The number of applicants has hovered around 1800 the last few years. Expect something similar this year (roughly 15-20 applicants per spot)

- Last year, 380 applicants were invited for interview. You can find the required stats on the Western Meds' website.

- If my memory serves me correctly, of the 380 invited for interview last year - I think 189 were offered admission in the end. The formular for admissions last year was 25% GPA, 25% MCAT and 50% interview.

- You're right, aneliz - my experience was that the Western admissions procedure meant that acceptance to Western was the most easy to predict.

Being in the class and knowing the guy on the admissions committee, I should know as soon as the minimums for interview are posted on the web. I will try to inform you guys ASAP.

Archived