Premed 101 Forums

did anyone take Kaplan?

Guest bc

I personally took the Kaplan course and felt it worked well for me, your mileage however may vary.

Kaplan worked great for me as I dont have a science background and I felt the inclass instruction to be quite useful. In addition, the structured nature of the course really helped to keep me on track. Lastly, Kaplan has an insane amount of practice material....

Having said all that, some of my classmates didnt find the course that great, and felt they could do a better job on their own....

I think if you stuck to the exact outline that Kaplan provides you will do well on the DAT....

As for how well it prepared me..well I guess I have a week until I find out.

Best of luck either way.

Guest Chowchilla

I took Kaplan this September and I hated it. We had one instructor who taught all the sections and he didn't know what he was talking about. He admitted as much: "I'm not that good at Chemistry, but all you need's in the textbook". Same thing for Biology and Reading (there's not much to teach for reading actually). I regret wasting my money on the course because I ended up studying by myself. You can buy separate tests elsewhere on your own and end up saving hundreds of dollars. In conclusion, buy a good textbook (ironically, Kaplan's book is great), buy some practice tests, get lots of soap, and study on your own.

Haha, I was in your class Chowchilla. It wasn’t a total waste of time. Taking that class had positives and negatives.

Positives:

If you are type of person who needs focus then obviously Kaplan is for you. They give you guidelines, so you can study accordingly. Obviously having a person give you hands on experience to help you carve can be positive.

Negatives:

If you are a self-motivated person: screw Kaplan and study on your own. Buy Kaplan, IQ books and package and practice practice practice.

I like to make one thing clear though. The Kaplan class experience can only go far has your teacher's abilities. If you teacher does not know how to teach, then the experience will not be worth the money you invest. Again, if you were fortunate to have a teacher who is well rounded, then it would be worth taking that class. I would probably ask Kaplan to give you a previous student evaluation of the teacher before you take the class.

For me, I think that class was useful. It gave me focus. Plus, 1000 dollars isn’t too much once you get into dentistry. Just charge your first patient for a “tooth canal” procedure or something lol.

Guest Adversary

I think it's useful IF you need boundaries. If you have the discipline to study on your own, you'll do fine. I know many people who did not take Kaplan and are in Dental School. I myself borrowed my friend's Kaplan books and studied on my own supplemented with Soapcarving tutoring from a small local business in Vancouver.

Remember it is 1000 bucks, but that isn't much in the grand scheme of things. However, it is NOT a necessity to get in.

Guest Adversary

I used the DAT Tutor for the carving section. They hired a 4th year UBC Dentistry student to teach us. I thought it was useful as she was very nice and excellent at carving. However, there are previous discussions on this board that claim the DAT Tutor is a rip-off. True, it did cost me quite a bit, but I am not aware of any alternatives other than to take the complete Kaplan course.

You can try to contact the first year or second year UBC Dental students and ask if anyone is interested in one-on-one tutoring. I know some of my friends in first year did really well in the carving section. If you want, I can ask for you. Private message me if interested. Note exams are not over till the 22nd so expect a delay.

Archived