Premed 101 Forums

Dal: Anxious times...

Guest power2005

Guest power2005

I am going crazy waiting! lol Rumours and inside info have people, including myself, predicting that this week, maybe as early as Wednesday, everyone will get their letters (CONGRATULATIONS! or We regret to inform you...lol).

So many things racing through my mind and all because of one little letter in the mail...

I'm only a 3rd year, so if I get a rejection, it's not all that bad.

But, if I get accepted...there are soooo many questions on my mind! I know dent is what I want, but do I want to sacrifice my grad year, miss out on X Ring (haha...anyone who doesn't go to St.FX is probably thinking WTF?), and all the fun of 4th year?! When does it begin? Where do I live? What about immunization forms/tuberculosis test? AHHHHHHH.......

Anyway, thats my rant because I am getting so anxious/nervous and needed a place to vent.

Any other Dal Dent 2010 hopefuls as anxious as I am?

Guest Labby Labberson

AHHH... to be in third year again lol

I'm just finishing 4th year and yeah I'm about ready to snap too man. I have a lot riding on this cuz if I dont get in anywhere I'll be doing a master's..... not another year of undergrad like you. So just chill cuz the worst case scenario for you ain't so bad. I don't blame you for being anxious though. I don't know what program your in or what X is like but here at Western fourth year was hell.

As far as your xring and stuff goes, yeah thats cool, I know its famous (Im from NS) but I think I'd rather have a big DDS degree framed on the wall don't you? If you get the opportunity take it and don't look back. You'll probably hear from Dal before me though since I have to wait for the stupid letter to make it out to Ontario. The adcom met on the seventh so any day now...

Once you are in, they'll tell you all about housing and TB tests. I've learned that through applying to places in the past

let us know the news when you hear!

Guest cavityfiller

I know what ya mean. I am waiting for Sask results. They are supposed to be sent out next week. We know if we get in if there is an expresspost letter (we are in) or if it is a regular envelope (waitlisted/rejected).

I wish they just could have told us earlier. Do you know why Schools like Dal/Sask wait so long to tell us. I mean they have everything they need by the beginning of May.

Wish you the best of luck

Guest Tonick

So does this mean 5 schools (Dal, USask, UWO, Manitoba, Alberta) still haven't sent out the majority of acceptances???

This means late waitlist movement at other schools...

Guest cavityfiller

so then out of curiosity.. what does the "committee" meet for then? Just to make sure they are filling their quota and have to expand/shorten it??

Guest wishywish82

lol I cracked, I was all stoic and not worrying about it, but I broke down when my mailbox was empty again today and I called the faculty of dentistry and asked if the acceptances had been sent out and they have damn Canada Post lol

Guest power2005

Thanks Tonick. No, Dal was the only school I applied and I hadn't applied to dent any other time because this is my first year I was eligible to apply as I am a 3rd year student.

Guest Labby Labberson

Anybody else in Ontario waiting for the letter? Was it sent by regular mail? When was your letter dated?

Congrats, thats awesome by the way

Guest wishywish82

I don't know where my letter was sent. It could either be sent to me in Hali or my rents in NB, in either case I haven't received it.

Guest chicken pot pie

Hey guys...i haven't received my letter yet either (i'm in nb)...hopefully i'll get an acceptance letter tomorrow!!!...good luck all!

Guest chicken pot pie

Hey again...i finally got an acceptance letter today!!!...wooooohooooo!!!...can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

Guest DDStobe

Hey I got my letter today and I am waitlisted:o Does anyone know how many ppl are on the waitlist and how many, if any, usually get in? In a class of 36, I can't imagine too many ppl turning down acceptances but I guess there may be hope. Any info would be great!!

Guest power2005

If you are in the maritimes, then probably very slim chance if any? Most people from the maritimes that get accepted are going to stay in the maritimes.

But if you are OOP, then perhaps you have a chance.

Best of luck!

Guest snoozebutton21

Hey...how about another, more positive answer to your question...i know of ppl who have gotten into other schools outside the maritimes, such as U of T who are going there instead of going to dal...just b/c someone is OOP, doesn't mean that there's a 'slim chance if any' of that person getting in...good luck!

Guest power2005

What I meant, and what I said, was that most people from the maritimes will choose to go to dal, so there won't be many, if any, that reject their acceptance. So if you are from the maritimes and are waitlisted, then there is probably a slim chance of it moving. However, if you are an OOP waitlisted, then that list probably moves more because an OOP student who gets in at Dal and gets in at another school might choose the other school over Dal before a maritime student would choose another school over Dal. So I would say there is a better chance of getting in off of the waitlist if you are an OOP student as opposed to a maritime student.

Sorry to sound so negative in my previous post.

And good luck once again!

Edit: I assume there are two different waitlists, but maybe there isn't??? Anyone know?

Guest DDStobe

Thanks for the replies. Power2005, I see what you mean, I assumed there was only 1 waiting list, or hoping anyway. I will call Jo-anne Monday and find out. Snoozebutton21, thanks for the positive reply. I hope you're right and a few spots open up

Archived