Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba dentistry special applicants

Guest Braces2005

Guest Braces2005

Hello,

Anyone going to Manitoba's special applicants interview this Wed or next?

I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dieselino

Does anyone know how the system at U of M works, do they take summer school, and how many years do they take or is it your best 2 or 3 years.... any help is appreciated

Guest Braces2005

Hello,

I'll tell you what I know. All the necessary information is on the U of M website. You can apply in different categories (regular or special). I believe they take all courses into account. The major difference between regular and special is the GPA cutoff, a 2.7 GPA for special apps. Look on the website and download the application to see the differences between categories. They have prereqs courses that you must complete too.

I thought you accepted UBC?

Guest Dieselino

hey buddy, thanks for your reply and yes I accepted UBC, but I am also waiting for U of M. Not sure yet where I would want to go.... but just wait and see....I was just wondering how their procedure goes

Guest jaws

Hey Dieselino,

If you also get into Manitoba, which would you choose? I assume you must have gone to Winnipeg for the interview. What did you think?

My opinion: decent school but the city sucks hard. Compared to UBC which is in a great city but sounds a bit dodgy (how bad can it be?).

Guest Dieselino

I went to the interview, and to be honest with you I'm from toronto, so I don't know much about any of those to cities. I have only heard good things about vancouver and nothing about winnipeg. Its only the 1.5 years of medicine thats not going on for UBC.... where did you get in Jaws?

Guest 2oothfairy

Jaws and Dieselino,

Are you guys both being considered for the special applicant.. what kind of DAT Scores and GPA did u have to get an interview, if you dont mind telling ur stats?

Thanks a lot. :)

Guest Dieselino

Well for me I am a regular applicant.... my GPA I am from ontario and when you convert it to the manitoba way which is weird i think its close to 4 out of 4.5 for my best 2 years, for my dat the 2 sections required were carving 23 and perceptual 19 average 21.

Hope this helps and can I ask you a question do you know with a 4 year degree do they still take your best 2 years or how does it work.

Ezzz

Guest jaws

I'm also a regular app. Actually they look at 3 DAT sections - carving, AA, PAT. Manitoba does not look at your two best years - they consider your entire university career except for your worst year if you have completed 3 or more full-time years.

How was your interview dieselino?

Archived