Premed 101 Forums

How do med schools confirm you did hospital volunteering?

Guest StephenNoor

Guest leviathan

This implies alot more than taking a person's name down and notifying a nurse of a particularly urgent case.

But this has been your experience and good for you. Arguing about whether this is typical or not for a volunteer at a hospital really isn`t serving a purpose for anyone reading this thread at this point I don`t think.

Well, I've never volunteered at any other hospitals, so I wouldn't know if this is "typical" or not. Is anyone familiar with what volunteers do in other EDs? I don't know if you're familiar with the CTAS scale, but an 8 year old could identify a level 1/2 patient without thinking twice. There are just some cases where I can spot something others might not know. For example, a systolic BP > 220 with symptoms is a modifier that automatically makes you a level 2. It seems like we're going in circles here, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree?

Guest blinknoodle

Hey guys I just had an interview with the Volunteer Co-Ordinator @ McMaster Hospital (where I hope to volunteer in the summer).

Do a lot of applicants get rejected after the interview?

(Haha...Im not talking about med school admission, im talking about hospital volunteering)

The McMaster University hospital is known to have a long waitlists to get a volunteer spot during the school year.. but basically that means you don't hear back from them about an interview. If the interview goes well, you should definitely find yourself with a volunteering position.. although the question is where. I hope you enjoy yourself. I volunteered in the psychiatric ward at that hospital, and they really had the volunteer program set up nicely (weekly shifts, monthly training/discussion sessions, great coordinator, etc).

Archived