Premed 101 Forums

how much dental school can suck

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

Guest uoft Chemistry

hey guys,

Again I restate what many others have already, MONEY is not the main issue for this profession BUT at the same time we bust our butts off for 8 YEARS and about 150K in debt, i totally agree that 40 K is absolutely ridiculous for any position in dentitsry. Yes south of teh boarder is looking better each minute....

Guest orlinmyer

Just because the "salary" is $40,000 a year that does not mean that all the net money made by the dentist is 40K. If the dentist is incorporated then they may only be paying themselves a salary of 40k for tax purposes. In actual effect they (their company) is making a lot more. Actually, I've heard of people only making a salary of $3,500 (not a misprint) a year so they don't need to make CPP contributions, while they dividend and bonus out of their company much more than that. It would be very hard to only make net 40k a year. You would have to work only ~2 days a week, for 8 hours a day. Even then, 40k a year working 16 hours a week is still a pretty efficient number, considering that it is just a little less than full-time teachers make.

Guest LestatZinnie

ya you're right, the ones that make 40k are the ones that only work two, three days a week and are not filling up their days full with patients.

Guest sensodyne

just out of curiosity, how do you get around a lack of clientele as an associate? I would think that most people would rather see someone w/ more experience than a dentist fresh out of dental school. Personally, if I moved to a new city, I would make sure to choose one w/ some experience.

Of course, not everyone would ask each dentist how long he or she has been in the field...but I think some would.

Guest ChinaMan2004

Hi chosenoneDDS,

By reading your threats thus far, I can tell that you do have a story to tell, and you have a heart to help as well. No matter which way you express your ideas in, I know that you have definitely something to give in this forum.

Your view about things is always nearly very practical, if not pragmatic. I am not to say this is bad obviously, because practicality is one factor we cannot escape from. But it does seem to make the whole business of dentistry as a career or getting into dentsitry a cold rule-driven game where there is no such thing as passion. (At least that's how I see you portraited it) Therefore, to be honest with you, although I took all your stuffs and considered them as useful information, I kept telling myself not to fall into one who considers and views the world like that. Because that's just too cold, and too boring. I sort of think that if i am to take this kinda of stance and view the world, it will turn out to be just black and white - there is just NO COLOURS in the pix.. (dunno if you understand wut i am saying, but it's the kinda of feeling i grasp from it)...

So while being logical and practical is required in a health field like this, I still try to remind myself of the passion and love that can be generated from it. And i stroll along the forum and try to define and refine the kind of dentist of whom I dream myself to be. Apparently, I am not even IN the whole deal of dental school yet, I cannot even fathom how it is going to be like. But I hold my dream fast and hope I can go toward it one day... It is the dream to be an oral n maxilo. surgeon and treat not just technically demanding oral complextions, but to really put the specialty into use and treat cancers, facial construction and all sorts of areas this specialty covers.

So when I saw one of your reply mentioning your passion and interest in oral surgery, I started to sense that: well, afterall, this guy still has something to grasp onto. Despite all his practical and cold talks about dentistry, he really does have a dream (if i may be so bold to claim it to be your dream) to go toward.

And that makes me feel comfortable because I am right: dentistry can be more than just the money and the business.. It can REALLY be a field to fulfill a dream!!

You see, you guys who are in your last year in dental schools are regarded as big advisors and helpers in this forum. I am sure a lot of people look to what you guys have to say and shape their ideas and understanding about dentistry more or less... So I just wanna say thanks to all you going-to-be dentists and already-are dentists, because every post that has been made is something we (who are still struggling thru the door to dentistry) need in this journey = )

So yeah, appreciate that, chosenoneDDS!! Have to be honest with you: even tho i appreciate wut you have said a lot, it does not change the impression i have from all your post ==> a logical jerk ;) But I am sure you dun mind, coz that's how you want to portrait yourself to be, I guess. And a question I have for you is, if you like this challenge of being an oral surgeon, why don't you study at the states and maybe work in the states? That way you get to do lots of surgeries and you can really put your specialty to good use, ain't it? Coz it seems to me that you want to stay in Canada, or maybe I am wrong?

NC

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

my account was hacked, seems like there is no security on this forum. Or people really must hate me...I regret that this will be my last post. Seems like they did a number on my posts.....

good bye and good luck.

Soon to be Dr. ChosenOne, DDS.

Guest ChinaMan2004

Well chosenonedds,

u are an arrogant person, but i think you can be arrogant becoz you are capable... that's why altho i dun like ur personality as it seems, I do admire ur thinking and opinions at times.

But anywayz, good luck on your study in oral surgery soon to come!!:)

NC

Guest BeEasyy

I truly regret that we have such morons in this forume (e.g. TheRetardedOne) who are of no value to others except distressing the atmosphere and performing idiotic actions like hacking other's account, I dunno wtf those of u are thinkin...

I think thechosenone is (or maybe was) one of THE MOST helpful individuals on this forume, and I am very disappointed that some of u idiots have made him leave. Instead of spending so much time to do such childish thing, you could have spent so much less @#$%ing urself... that would have satisfied you and others much better...

Guest sensodyne

BeEasy...maybe you didn't mind them, but I sure was getting tired of all the "u of t is the best @#%$ school in the world", "I'm going to be an oral surgeon and make millions of dollars", "my dad is an oral surgeon and my uncle has 3 practices", etc mentioned on every one of his posts.

Guest loud noises

whether you're sad or glad that the chosenone is gone, it boils down to 1 point...there are lots of people on this forum who have insight into different areas and topics, and the whole point of the forum is to culminate all this knowledge...the loss of one individual may be unfortunate, but everyone will survive because no matter what the qualifications of one person, one person cannot know everything. so let's stop with the i'm glad/sad to see him go...who knows- maybe he'll start/has another account, and he'll be back under another name for those who really can't live without him, like the choosingone.

Guest Tonick

Chosen one will be back, he can't resist the beige and grey of premed101. He's done this before just to come back with better insults and better info than ever, so just stay tuned.

Guest TheRetardedOneDDS

Tonick, your life seems to revolve around this choseneone guy. This is just some forum. Nobody is going to hold their breath until your boyfriend comes back.

Guest Tonick

LOL you're the one obsessed with this dude, u created an entire username on him. I'm just stating the obvious. And just for the record, I've got a gorgeous girlfriend, so the only one holding their breath awaiting chosenone is you.

Guest TheRetardedOneDDS

Since these forums aren't moderated, I took matters into my own hands. Mission accomplished. Wipe your tears and lets get back to dentistry.

Guest Tonick

If you look at my posts all I talk about is dentistry, and I've never started any polemics against anyone. I share everything I know about CDN & U.S schools and the applications process. If you want to get back to dentistry, get a normal username and lets go.

Archived