Premed 101 Forums

dental research?

Guest toothy1985

Guest toothy1985

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has done it? It sounds like an amazing experience.. but so so so hard to find. What should I do this summer besides workign my behind off for making some money to apply to schools...I think I need atleast 5K to apply including some air fare for interviews if invited,

Any suggestions...:D

Guest Aplusdent

I've done some microbiology dental research at my school....I asked the prof who did dental research if he had any openings and he told me to ask him again at the end of the semester (to see how my grades were) and then he offered me a position in his lab working in dental research for one semester (last semester). I learnt a lot of techniques and some cool info about dental material and bacteria :)

Guest tamkhan1

im currently shadowing a dentist. he has his own clinic, so its pretty cool. you get to learn A LOT. plus, you can get a recommendation, too.

not too sure about dental research, though. havnt looked into it

Guest Aplusdent

Yup..shadowing is strongly recommended (especially in U.S. schools), I've shadowed 3 different kinds of dentists (gen., max. facial, cosmetic) and I can tell you that each practice is drastically different...you learn sooo much! I also worked in one of the offices for a year. They allowed me learn on the job and I did a lot of procedures actually....:hat (don't worry it was all legal...lol...they have a program here, IN, in which you can learn on the job while doing your degree). I learnt a ton, and now I know how to do a few procedures (and I improved my manual dexterity) and had the chance to interact with patients and learn how an office functions. I would recommend it for everyone. I'll definitely be getting a reference from her.

Do many Canadian schools have the option of sending references? Can you send them even if they don't ask for them?

Guest tamkhan1

yeah, u can send them in even if they dont ask. like, for western, theyve mentioned it somewhere on their page, that you can send any rec. letters, althought they cant gaurentee that it would have any effect on your application.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

lol dental research is ok if you like it. I recommend it only for US schools and if there is a school u want to get in but i wouldn't pay to do it, rather get paid. Research in a lab for a prof is the same thing. Only difference is that if you get into that dental school that the prof works for in dnetal research u might be able to continue the project. Much like what i did with profs at U of T..now i will be doing my "masters" with them..(u of t specialty gives u a masters and specialty cert.)

ok?

good.

Archived