Premed 101 Forums

Is there better chance for getting in on the second trial?

Guest jugule

I am now fourth year student now. I've applied last year when I was a third year student and fortunately I've made to interviews but after that I was not granted the admission. This year I am applying again but just wondering if there is a better chance on the second trial. If you look at the statistic at Dalhousie Univ, around 10 out of 30 were the re-applicants.

Also, does the year you are in plays role on the admission? I heard that there is lesser chance of getting in for the third year students. Anyone can confirm this?

That makes sense -- reapplicants who have improved their dat or gpa may have better luck. In contrast, doing nothing to improve your stats will probably do nothing to improve your chances. As far as I know most universities do not care either way if you are a first-time or second-time applicant.

Good luck to everyone.

Guest johnwoo19

I don't think there is a better chance just based on the fact that it's your second try. The admissions committee won't think, "Hey look this guy is applying again. Let's give him an extra ten points."

The second try gives the opportunity to improve on your weak areas. The degree of improvement is what gives you a better chance in gaining admission compared to your previous try.

I have also heard (from a dental school registrar) that many people do much better on their second interview. This basically tells you that the interview is complete BS. A true measure of personality would not change from one year to the next. Your personality is what it is, people simply do better on the second interview because they figured out how to answer questions in the way that the interviewers are looking for.

The only advantage second-timers might have could be on basis of their interview experience.

Good luck everybody.

Archived