Premed 101 Forums

advice on grades improvement

Guest Denteest

Guest Denteest

I need advice on how to go about improving my GPA for admission to dental school. I'm a resident of Ontario so my first preference would be UWO and U of T. I understand that these schools are GPA-heavy in their admission process.

I did my undergrad in the US, and didn't do so hot on my pre-req science classes (overall science averages about 3.0).

Now, I'm looking to apply to dental schools in a couple of years and want to use this time to improve my application (I will also be working full-time).

Would people suggest redoing prereq courses? Or taking random upper level science classes to improve my science and overall gpa?

Any help is much appreciated!

It's just tough thing to do. Work and take courses. Plus Western and Toronto look at FULL year coures. I dont even think they consider 1 or 2 courses done after graduation. You probably have a better shot getting in medicine, because they consider other things than grades.

What is your cumulative average over the 4 years of university. break it down year by year...

P.S unlike american schools, canadian dont care about your science averages, just your cumulative.

Also what american school did you go to...

Guest Denteest

Thanks for the reply!

I attended Dartmouth. My cum. average was 3.45. I can't remember the year-to-year breakdown but things didn't fluctuate too much. I pretty much did well in my non-science classes but wasn't driven enough to kill the science courses.

So if somoene has already graduated, and doesnt have very high marks, there's basically no reasonable chance of getting into Western or Toronto for dental?

If I do some kind of a Master's does that change things?

Guest Denteest

Yeah, I know that an American dental school is a much more realistic goal for me...but I'm afraid of the fact that as a Canadian citizen I would have to fund my education through private loans (with huge interest rates)...that's why I had been thinking about heading back to Ontario.

Are there people out, canadian citizens/international students, who are able to fund all their dental school expenses through private loans, without family support?

banks love dentists, they will give you loans.

the best time to go to dentistry is now, because loans are cheap (historically). wait longer and who the hell knows what Bernanke might do, but chances are with the inflation, he is gonna hike rates.

American schools favour ivy leaguers. You be in a good American dental school for sure...earning upwards of 100 grand a year. DONT waste your time, and take the American DAT and apply for early admissions (starting this july)

So if somoene has already graduated, and doesnt have very high marks, there's basically no reasonable chance of getting into Western or Toronto for dental?

If I do some kind of a Master's does that change things?

Sure Master's gives you points, but the GPA cutoffs still stand. Western needs 2 years above 80, and Toronto needs 3 years above 3.7 (80). So your master's is USELESS if you dont make the cutoffs.

if you thinking medicine thats a different story. master's students are looked up favourably (at least Toronto and Mac) and accually lowers your GPA cutoffs. Sadly not true for dentistry.

Archived