Premed 101 Forums

Female vs. Male dentist

Guest Osteoblast

Guest Osteoblast

Hi there,

I'm wondering why there are a lot of woman in dental schools? (like UT has 50% female). I feel that dentistry is a physically demanding career and you don't have regular working hours (like 9-5 and M-F). I also heard that there are less female open her own practice than male. It that true?

For the dentistry girls out there, do you feel you are in a bit disadvantage compare to the guys?

Guest Adversary

Well, I don't think there is a disadvantage for females in this field. I certainly believe they are as competent as any other male and gender definitely does not play a role in success. In fact, just like other schools, UBC has 21 females and 19 males in the first year Dental class this year. Perhaps your information is outdated?

Guest Tonick

The only reason why females may be at a disadvantage is the maternal role that they often take on later on in life. However, when you remove all other outside responsibilities, single male or female dentists are probably equally competent at what they do. The agility advantage that smaller female hands have can be offset by stronger male hands for things such as extractions.

Guest LestatZinnie

dentistry is a good occupation for females because of the flexibility it provides. many female dental students i know have no plan on owning practice and only want to work as associates. this is actually beneficial for the majority of males who want to become practice owners. i think the current gender distribution will work out just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Osteoblast

Is that true that being a dentist give one the flexibility to work part-time? I think that's one aspect that maybe attactive to woman who may want to spend time taking care of the family.

Archived