Oral Medicine and Pathology

Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology

Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics

Pediatric Dentistry

Periodontics

Prosthodontics

who gets the most dough?

are u even in dental skool yet?

btw, any of the specialties has potential to make more money than the other one (except public health), it all depends on your practice, how many days you work, where it is, how good you are...

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

That is lame.

You know which one makes the most dough? the one who is the smartest in business.

A general dentist who is smart can make more than all of them.

But in general, oral surgeon makes the most or ortho

Guest wishywish82

it depends on your location and how efficiently you run your practice.

a smart dentist who uses his practice as a tax shelter will make more than all of them.

that's where it's at is buying investments under the practice and paying yourself like 70K a yr so you don't get the hell taxed out of you

average oral surgeon is 500K, ortho ~300K

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

specialty do it in the USA. Just study hard for board exam part 1

it's not hard to do well. Just get above 90 and u are golden. Some of my classmates have interviews already for places already.

Guest kellyl20

do specialty in the states? then do your dental undergraduate in the states; better chance. Interviews to canadian trained are just that, interviews... albeit how well you do in your board exams.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

not necessarily as many schools in the US LOVE U of T grads. Ok there are exceptions like Harvard, UPENN, Columbia, etc. But usually U of T students are very highly regarded. Arizona, New York, etc. All love U of T students. Esp for GPR and AEGD as well. I do have a few interviews for GPRs and AEGD though now I think I might not do it and go into practice.

Board exams and class rank and school u went to, determine ur matching. It's so hard to get into specialty in CAnada, you need great marks, lots of research, and most importantly, HOOK UPS. If you don't know the faculty well you hvae lower chance than someone who does lol.

I read on student doctor network of general dentists making 1.5 million....

Guest kellyl20

Sorry did not know you were referring to GPR and AEGD.

Thought that you were referring to Ortho, Max.F, Endo etc. and so my answer was referring to those programs.

You are right, there is no problem with GPR and AEGD ie can get one quite easily in the states especially if you are a UT graduate.

I remembered my sibling saying that it does not matter if one goes to work first or do the program route before applying for the specialties; they want you to have general dent experience as you are a dentist. What do count for specialties are your marks and what your dental school thought of you.

Research can come later.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

oh no I'm also talking about ortho, endo, etc.

My friend got matched for ortho from U of T, at many american schools. Guy got accepted even before he got interviewed by the majority of the schools at Tufts for Ortho. Last year too.

Another one of my friends got into endo no prob in arizona.

There's a lot of people who match at U of T. It's actually harder for a U of T grad to match at U of T for specialty unless of course you have hook ups and just phenomenal.

Guest kellyl20

no research

no hook up

good marks like everyone else

1 year practice

UT grad = UT endo!

Down the states are the programs not through a matching service much like for medicine?

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

U got into UT endo?

Hmm I think I might know who you are.

Yeah it is the same matching process as meds but there are some that are not under that general process and is independent, that is how the guy last year got into ortho before the schools under that "matching" organization gave him interviews. Tufts apparently for ortho is not part of it.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

yeah I'm still thinking about whether I wanna go down tot he US to do GPR because it would give me more hospital experience and out of all specialties, I really like oral surg, my marks are pretty good and my US board scores were somehow great too, I'm telling u, U of T is a great school, They prepared me well for those.

But i love to drill and fill. I am the fastest and the best at it so it would be a waste of talent not to do that.

Guest kellyl20

Yes, UT is a great school. Heard it also from US students who came up to UT dental school and then went back down to do a general and they knew way more or do much better than their US counterparts.

I think my older sibling said that doing a general or going to work right after grad wouldn't have made any difference for them, but that was for their specialty. The person from their class that got oral surgery down the states was the top graduating student.

Where they chose to go was where they wanted to live for the year. If $$ is not important, then the hospital route I would think, otherwise if you are fast you will earn way more in private practice. For the oral surgery, I am sure you know this, you will work like a dog at the hospital with no sleep etc etc. but you do feel you are making a big difference to your patients. Going the hospital route is sort of an extension of your education and probably more fun than private practice.

They said that they really enjoyed their year at the hospital.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

yeah Kelly thx for your concern. Really do appreciate it. My dad told me all about it already he's been through it all before and highly recommends it. I guess I'll make my decision closer to my acceptance date. Coz I'll probably accept the offer and do the GPR and see how it is.

Guest kellyl20

Go to do GPR where you think you might have a chance at oral surgery then or where there are more spots. Or go where your father had done his training, that might help.

Best is of course get into oral surgery right after you graduate from UT, but many places prefer that you gain some dental experience first.

Good for you, I am sure as a UT graduate you will do well.:)

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

i'm not sure that's the thing. I didn't apply for oral surgery, but my dad did it in US. Though if I wanted to I guess I can get into for oral surgery in toronto. I wanna change of scenery.

Guest kellyl20

Change of scenery is good; but staying in the locale to establish contacts (referrals) for after grad from specialty is also good.

If young, go and live somewhere else for a year; New York, Hawaii, West Virginia, New Mexico comes to mind.

If older, then that 1 year becomes a consideration.

Think UT makes you do research while doing specialty and so you will be very very busy if you go that route.

Archived