Premed 101 Forums

UBC Application

Guest slysniper

Guest slysniper

So, it is time to finish the application. There is one question I dont know what to write for the answer.

Is there a particular reason for your wanting to study dentistry at The University of British Columbia?

I was thinking of saying how I like the joined program with medicine. I ll elaborate on it, but is there a better reason maybe I should write about?

Why would they have that question on an application? 90% of the time they'll just get @#%$ answers.

They know that people apply to all schools across Canada and then choose from their acceptance letters.

Give them the fluff they are asking for:

"I can see myself practicing in BC once I graduate"

"I have heard great things about the program"

"The UBC campus has a very warm and welcoming appeal"

"I found the direction that UBC's dental school is taking very inspiring."

... and other nonsense.

Guest johnwoo19

Dent08, I think it is a very valid question. This question will show how much you know about UBC and what it has to offer. If people know close to nothing, they may very well generate the answers that you posted. I am pretty sure the admissions committee can see through this.

Slysniper, I would suggest you to read a bit about UBC's curriculum, facilities, etc. Going on this board to ask what you should write on your application won't be beneficial to you. This admissions committee wants to hear about why YOU want to go to UBC. By posting this question you may want to ask yourself if you truly have any reason for applying to UBC, or if you're just applying to raise your chances in getting into dental school without any regard to which school it is.

Guest kellyl20

Dent08's fluff sounds alright to me. Oh I know....how about "very excited about the new clinic and anticipating learning with the newest equipment around":D

Other than that, I can't think of what other possible reasons you might have wanting to go to UBC.

Guest slysniper

You are right I am only applying to UBC cuz I wanna raise my chances of getting in. To be honest with you, I have heard only bad stuff about UBC from this blog. I think people mostly dislike it cuz it is the only school that generates profit by charging super high tuitions.

From what I gathered on this forum, UBC even has the highest number of dental student drop-outs (I dont who said it here). So, now you know why I have trouble listing reasons why I wanna go to UBC. But, out of curioisty, is it really as bad as some say?

@ slysniper,

Exactly. You can't say: "I am applying to UBC as my 5th choice and am only interested in attending if McGill, U of A, UWO, and Sask turn me down."

The best bet is to pick something from their site that you find appealing about their dental program and go with it.

Guest kellyl20

I don't think there is a high rate of UBC dental dropouts.

My parent said that they are under pressure to pass the students (teaches there). But if your parent is a dentist, then shouldn't be a problem; can always be taught after graduating. The tuition is high, but that is not the only reason for their reputation.

Taught after graduating?

Don't you treat patients in clinic as a 3rd and 4th year student at UBC? I hope for those people's sake that you've learned everything possible before you start drilling in their mouths rather than relying on your parents to give you a crash course after you somehow graduate. ;)

p.s. - just teasing. I know what you're getting at. :D

Guest kellyl20

Well, then you get to clean teeth for the first little while and then your employer can let you branch out, I guess. Or....do a general residency program, especially down the states, and you will get plenty of practice, guarantee:D

Hygienists clean teeth. If thats all you're capable of doing after 4 years, you picked the wrong program.

Competency and licensing exams keep people who didn't learn enough in dental school out of private practice.

Guest slysniper

Man, the admission lady was saying a lot of people are applying this year. Well, I guess it all depends, if I do well on my carving I ll be going to UoA (first choice), otherwise UBC, but I gotta win a lotto first.

Good thing UoA doesnt accept people with carving marks as low as 5 who have even lower personality :rollin

You'll get the UBC acceptance letter and will be required to pay a $9000 deposit to hold your spot at UBC. The deposit payment deadline will come before you will hear anything about acceptance from U of A.

Are you willing to gamble and turn down your UBC acceptance and wait for the U of A?

Are you willing to lose a $9000 deposit you've given UBC when you get accepted to U of A (since its your first choice)?

Tough one.

Unfortunately you don't have much of a choice. There are several people in my class who lost $9000 and came to U of A.

You can't tell me that UBC doesn't do that on purpose. Totally shady.

Guest bcdentalgirl

Kelly|20, EVERYtime I come here, you are slagging UBC. If your Dad is teaching at UBC, and coming home and telling you what a @#%$ program it is, why does he bother? Maybe he is part of the problem. I understand what you're saying about the problems of this program, but in this thread you come off sounding like we are only doing hygiene in 3rd year which is utter nonsense.

Say what you want about UBC and I'll probably agree, but get your facts straight about what students are doing in clinic.

Guest kellyl20

I am not saying that UBC is only training you hygiene, this is what I remember some graduates of UBC posting here that all they were allowed to do when he graduated and working as an associate with a dentist. I don't think you will find that I had written that hygiene is all you get to do in clinics; please correct me if I am wrong but perhaps it is you who is not getting facts straight. You have to do the search though for the posting where the UBC grad said that was all he got to do because I do not remember his name handle.

My parent did not say that the 3rd years only learn hygiene, but I will allow that he did say that the program could be better. My parent is the problem? If you say so bcdentalgirl. This is a free country.

Hey, if you are proud of your dental education, good for you and you should be proud b/c you chose the school to be in, I presumed :)

Guest bcdentalgirl

this is what you said:

"Well, then you get to clean teeth for the first little while and then your employer can let you branch out, I guess"

or do my eyes deceive me?

Don't try to turn around on me like it's my job to reserach your sources for your opinion on UBC. Most people would assume that your source is your "parent", since you continually mention it. When you put inflammatory remarks out there, expect to be called out on it.

Yes, I am proud to have made it here. Thanks for your support.

Guest kellyl20

Yes, that is what one person who graduated from UBC claimed that is all he got to do for his first associateship, and it was posted on this board. Maybe he is lying, I am just going by what was said. Like I said it is a free world and go with what you believe. If he was only allowed to do hygiene I still say that he can branch out later when his employer has more confidence in him. That is something each graduate has to find out for himself, no exception.

Yes, your eyes do deceive you b/c I did not say you did not get to do or taught anything else beside hygiene in your clinics. So I am calling on YOUR inaccuracy/accusation.

I do not blame you for being defensive, it is only human nature. You also do not need to research my source for the remark re hygiene as I already told you I found a posting on this board and not from my parent, unless you want to or want to scold that person too. I also want to ask you why are you putting the word parent in quotations? Do you doubt that I have parents or is this a misuse of quotations.

I certainly hope that you don't scold your patients in the future left and right when you disagree with them or do not like their opionions. I really do not want to say anymore to you but I just couldn't let your wrong assumptions go unanswered. You can say whatever you want, about me or my parent but I will not rise to the bait and engage into any more discussions with you.

Archived