Premed 101 Forums

CARVING

Guest DentalChick

Guest DentalChick

Ok, I posted about this earlier, but am now having a panic attack 2 days before the DAT -- it is possible that we will get a dome shape, or a point (figures seen in the IQ book that don't correspond to typical notch/fluted patterns)??? If so, can someone PLEASE give me some tips on how to do these?

Thanks so much!

Guest wishywish82

points mark the centre and think about carving a really narrow double fluted end turn it 90 degrees and do it again

square bottom carve the end in #2 first and then mark center and do the same thing. i bisect my planes and draw lines right on the soap and then cut the lines for the points.

when you do the second set it gets hard b/c the soap is thin

Guest wishywish82

round figure think of drawing a round egde inside a rectange:

many million tangents onto a round edge make the edge round, mark the centre and hole the blade perpendicular to the edge and scrape the soap off around the edge, varying the angle of the blade to produce a round edge.

i had to draw it out before like i mentioned above before i tried it.

now how about those middle notches?? :P seriously i find those a pain HELP!!!

Guest johnwoo19

What are the chances we'll get a point or a dome?

wishywish, are the middle notches you're talking about those ditches in the middle of the soap? What are you having trouble with? I would say it's pretty definite that we'll be seeing that on Saturday.

Guest wishywish82

i can carve them but their never perfectly flat i know we'll see them i always botch them somehow, getting the angles at 90 is no prob

i'm messed :P

Guest wishywish82

stella's got her groove back.

i think anyway.

how does this sound for a middle notch: draw it out then cut it out, cut down to the lines, scrape parallel to the notch turn blade 45degrees from notch scrape, turn another 45 scrape then back parallel then do the 90 degree corners and voila.

Guest wishywish82

i find it's the only way to get rid of miniture hills and valleys

i want it so flat i can't see any light when i put the ruler against it.

serves me right for not carving in 2.5 weeks :smokin

Archived