Premed 101 Forums

Number of surfces

Guest slysniper

Guest slysniper

I hope everyone is having a great time carving, well, I sure am; cut my thumb the other day, Ha ha. Anyway, I had a question regarding number of surfces they ask us to cut on DAT. I hear it is going to be 5 or max 6. Has anyone heard of more or less?

Guest shesallDAT

I heard the same thing...5 or 6... I haven't cut myself but I did manage to break the soap twice (out of 20 or so carvings)... That could really ruin a DAT! :x

Guest wishywish82

I've cut myself 2 times and broke 2 soap, one when I was grading it.

A buddy of mine @#%$ up his carving, didn't have the symmetry correct and apparantly they gave him another piece of soap which he carved in 14 mins and got a 14.

CDA will give you a second soap on the DAT if you need it. Just plan not to need it because they won't extend your time and you'll be lucky to get 14. If you break your soap toward the end of the 30 minutes you are screwed.

I doubt they will give you a second piece of soap, as supplies always seem to be low. I recall last year when I wrote it, some people's soaps were deformed from the beginning, but there were only 3 or 4 extra bars that could be given out to replace them. So don't screw up the first one you've got.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gettingin

I can't wait for this thing to be over! I wrote it last year...did killer on everything except my carving. So lucky me gets to write it again! Here are some hits that I have found useful:

1) Practice drawing all you lines on pieces of 5/8 inch wooden dowling. It is super cheap and a great way to practice.

2) Candles work great as a crude subsitute....yes they are often tapered, and not identical texture to the soap, but they are great for learning some of the basic techniques.

Now for my questions:

Does anyone know of anywhere on line that you can see pictures of possible designs. I know that IP publications has a bunch...but I didn't learn about this book until just last week (too late for the test next Sat.)

What does "fluted" triangle/square mean? I know the term flute as a musical instrument, and in relation to a drill bit. Is there another meaning that I am missing...maybe one that would make sense for the DAT?

Good luck all!

Archived