Premed 101 Forums

Anybody with fewer than 48 sketch entries?

Guest Dan

Guest 24medgirl

I have 31 entries and I'm pleased with that. I don't think they mean for us to fill the entire 48 entries - just fill in all the stuff we do/did so they can get an idea about who we are.

I think they would actually notice if the sketch was padded.

Balance is a core principle at ottawa and going to 48 entries is difficult to read (aka more than one page) for the interview committee who is given bullet form of the title of each entry.

Yet if you got messed up last year because of having a high enough GPA but poor ABS then go to 48 and remember that the hours for research/activities/volunteering/employment that you put during the Fall and Spring semester (and the ability to be verified; professionalism is another core principle) are paramount to passing the ABS hurdle.

And from my perspective "clarity/connectedness" is the last core principle so be clear about when you did what and don't over average.

If you are applying to the Graduate subcommittee the ABS hurdle is lower because the proof of productivity will be the real test for interview invite.

If you are applying to the Francophone stream try not to go over 38. The francophone applicants are generally more laid back/nonchalant and you will stick out like a sore thumb if you bust it to 48.

Cheers,

g22g

Guest doctorinthehouse

I personally think you should fill in all of the entries. I know it's hard at first, but really, it's everything you've done since you were 16. So, chances are if you don't have 48 it's not that you haven't done that much, it's that you're forgetting stuff. ie. did you play any sports in highschool, or were you on any clubs or student's council, or do you like to read a lot, etc, etc.

Also, Ottawa U is a school that looks extremely hard for people that do everything and anything. So, just because something might seem like 'padding' or not worth putting in to you, they might like it. This was the first year that I filled out all 48 entries, and this was the first year I got an interview (third time applying), and I got in. I know other people who had the crazy high gpa, but didn't fill the sketch, and got rejected for an interview based on lack of stuff in their sketch.

So, not saying that this will make or break your application, but it does seem to make a difference.

Guest 24medgirl

Doctorinthehouse,

I have 31 entries in my ABS. I'm happy with that - there is more I could put in, but it's stuff from way back in highschool and that was almost 9 years ago. I don't feel that it really reflects who I am now. I have lots of volunteer experience - varied from coaching soccer to charity work and loads of extra-curricular such as hiking, beach volleyball to soccer - actually just writing that made me think maybe I'll be looked upon too much as a jock - maybe I should put some of the choirs I did as a teen. Anyway, I feel that my application is well rounded. Do you think I need to add more?

Archived