Premed 101 Forums

blades getting dull

Guest slysniper

Guest slysniper

Hi everyone,

Well, my blades are getting dull, so I tried to get them sharpened, but the guy said he couldnt. I really dont wanna order the dat prep kit given the fact that I already have 2 booklets from previous years (By the way, do you know if they have changed the booklet or not?)

So, any suggestions? Is there a place where I can go and get new ones?

Thanks

Guest shesallDAT

I don't know if this is the placebo effect, but I've tried sharpening the blades myself with either the other blade, or the blade on a pair of scissors, and it seems to help. You've got nothing to lose by trying it! :b

Unfortunately the x-acto blades (#101) the CDA uses are discontinued - they are no longer produced. Basically you won't find them anywhere except from the CDA, unless you can find a store somewhere that sells discontinued knife blades.

Mine are not as sharp as they used to be but they're still okay after carving 50+ soaps.

Guest slysniper

All right, I finally called CDA. You wouldnt believe it. They are short of blades too. They have barely enough for the exam. Man, talk about a mess. So, she pretty much turned me down.

But, I finally figured it out. I am going to use the blades I got from the IQ chalk carving package. I just have to somehow cut it a bit shorter, blades are too long. I gotta see if I can get it done at home depot.

Guest Bigheadbebe

Surprise to hear that!

I heard the DAT Tutor group still have blades. But not sure whether they will sell it to stranger. Plus you have to buy in person... so basically you have a chance to get it if you live in the 3 biggest cities in Canada. Good luck.

Guest Bigheadbebe

They used to practice on CDA soap... and CDA blade. Of course you have to buy your soap and carving kit from CDA. But they used to have supply of soap and kit material to sell for urgent situation to their students.

Archived