Premed 101 Forums

US Internal Medicine versus Ontario Internal Medicine

I'm an IMG hoping to practice GIM in/near the GTA: Primarily outpatient but some locum ER consult shifts too. I was considering the pros/cons of training in an ACGME Internal Medicine program versus an Ontario Internal Medicine program.

USA training:

• 3 years of GIM training (can get equivalency to a 4-year Ontario program through CPSO's Pathway A)
  • No return of service  
  • 12-18 months of (light) supervision by CPSO-approved physician – might be hard to find one (?)

Ontario training:

• 4 years of GIM training 
  • 5-year return of service outside of GTA (severely limits job opportunities per HFO-Jobs website) 

Is my understanding correct? Would it not be easier and faster to find work after training in the States versus training in Ontario?

• 2 months later...

I think the pros and cons you listed are accurate.

not too sure if it's necessarily easier to find a job after training in the US though, in terms of networking. chances are if you did GIM training in Canada, employers would already know you. Other than that I think US is potentially a better option.

• 2 weeks later...